Spring Sports Roundup: April 4-8

Some members of the girls softball team celebrate after their rivalry win against Dallastown. Photo by Lori Staub.

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

Baseball

The baseball team finished 2-1 this past week with big wins against Delone Catholic (15-6) and New Oxford (13-10). The Warriors lost their Friday game against York Suburban (4-1 ). The highlight of the week was their win against New Oxford where they battled back after losing by 8 runs in the 5th inning. Junior Peyton Reider contributed three hits to lead the Warriors to victory over the Colonials.

“Seeing the team rally and come back to win was an amazing experience and was one of the best games I’ve ever played in,” Reider said.

The baseball team selfies on a bus ride home after a team win. Photo by Logan Mohar.

Softball

The softball team came home this week with two road wins against Delone Catholic (7-2) and New Oxford (16-1). So far this season the Warriors have scored 71 runs in only 6 games, putting them at a good spot for potential district power rankings. Senior Kristi Langhans added 3 hits in Tuesday’s game against New Oxford.

“The New Oxford game was a great turn around for me from the Delone Catholic game. I didn’t play very well against Delone, but I felt great after I went 3 for 3 batting against New Oxford,” Langhans said.

Girls Lacrosse

The girls lacrosse team only played one game this past week due to a postponement against Kennard-Dale, but they defeated the Panthers from Central York 18-4. The team had 7 different players score and 6 of them scored more than one. Junior Gena Speights was the leading scorer for the Warriors with 6 goals.

Boys Lacrosse

Seniors Dorian Faster (left), Aidan Kirkendall (center), and Anthony Devincent (right) stand together after one of their lacrosse games. Photo by Tanner Yanick.

The boys lacrosse team split their games with a win against Kennard-Dale (18-1) and a loss against Central York (15-9). The Warriors had 10 different players score goals and three of them finished with hat tricks. Senior captain Dorian Faster led the team with a hat trick and one assist.

“We worked well as a team to put up team goals and assists were the key during the game,” Faster said.

Track & Field

The boys and girls track and field team both experienced tough losses against York Suburban. The boys suffered a 108-42 loss and the girls 113-37. For the boys, junior Wesley Juarez won the long jump, and Senior Chris Rhyne won the high jump. For the girls, senior Kayla Bennett won the 100 hurdles, and sophomore Kate Burgess won the discus.

Boys Volleyball

The boys volleyball team beat Dover in a close match 3-2. Senior captains Quinlan Kauffman and Stephen Rouse led the team in kills with Kauffman having 25 and Rouse having 36. Kauffman also added 3 aces and 3 blocks, while fellow senior Kurt Eckenrode contributed 17 digs.