Academic Camps Offer New Learning Experiences

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Gettysburg College is currently offering high school students in Pennsylvania a chance to improve their academic skills over the summer through academic camps.  Subjects include: psychology, government, creative writing and 3D object modeling.

All of the camps will be located on the Gettysburg College Campus. Photo from: Wikimedia Commons

The offer is exclusive to sophomores, juniors and seniors only, and the camps start June 19 and end on July 1, 2016.

Camp Psych

Camp Psych gives students a hands-on experience into the challenging world of psychology.  The goal of the camp is to provide students with a window into how psychological science works and to engage the students into the research of psychology.

The camp is located on the Gettysburg College Campus and takes place on June 26-July 1.  The cost to join the camp is $1,250, which includes lodging, meals, and activities.

Applications are currently open and will be available until the camp is full.

The camp directors are Dr. Brian P. Meier and Dr. Abigail A. Scholer, two social psychologists who have had an extensive experience in the research and teaching of psychology.

Government Leadership Camp

The Government Leadership Camp is designed for students who have a major interest in understanding the American government.  These students should be able to engage in small discussions, attend college-level lectures and participate in a wide variety of debates, simulations and field trips.

The camp is located on the Gettysburg College Campus and holds a maximum of 50 students.  The camp costs $1,750 to join and lasts for an 8-day period.

Writing Camp

The Writing Camp provides students with an in-depth introduction to all four genres of creative writing: fiction, non-fiction, poetry and stage and screenwriting.  The camp offers engaging activities that give students a hands-on experience in how to write and how to talk about writing.

The camp is located on the Gettysburg College Campus and takes place through June 19-24, 2016.  The camp costs $1,250 with an additional $50 application fee.

The camp will be directed by college professors Fred Leebron, Kathryn Rhett and Nadine Meyer.  Each director is successful in multiple writing areas and teaches a different variety of creative writing classes.

3D Object Modeling and Printing Camp

The 3D Object Modeling and Printing Camp gives students an opportunity to study the functions of 3D modeling printers and basic fundamentals about 3D modeling.  The course is a novice course, with no 3D printing and modeling knowledge required.

The camp is located on the Gettysburg College Campus and lasts through June 26-July 1, 2016.  The camp costs $1,395 and is available to high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.

Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2016 or until the camp is full.

All academic camps will help students gain more experience in those areas. Photo from: Wikimedia Commons

If you are interested in joining, it’s recommended to apply early before applications are closed.