Soar Through the SATs With These Tips

Sign up for the March or May SAT today.

Wikimedia Commons

Sign up for the March or May SAT today.

By Emily Christian, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The end of the year is always the most stressful for juniors and seniors – striving to get out of finals, deciding where to go to college, and basically starting to plan for their entire future. Having to take the SAT test doesn’t help with the stress load. However, starting March 5, the new SAT will be distributed, so here are a few tips on how to prepare and excel.

Understanding the SAT

Information about the SATs can be found in the Guidance Office.

The first tip to succeed on the SAT is to have background knowledge of the test.The redesigned SAT takes a total of 180 minutes, consisting of reading, writing and language, and math sections. The test may take 230 minutes if the student chooses to take the essay portion as well. The total cost of the test can be between $43.00 – $54.50, depending on if the essay is chosen.

Guidance counselor Evelyn Kabke stresses that meeting registration deadlines is essential.

“It is very important that students register by the deadlines. They are February 5 for the SAT on March 5, or by April 8 for the May 7 exam,” says Kabke.

The late fee costs $28.00 for every student that does not register before the deadline.

Studying for the SAT

Students should feel prepared before the test to boost their confidence. Khan Academy is an online program that

The subjects and testing dates are all found on posters around the school.

offers practice for many subjects, including SAT prep. Students that took the PSAT will have personalized practice on the site, due to their scores showing what they need to improve on. Students that have yet to take the PSAT or SAT can still use Khan Academy. Math and reading sections, along with the SAT prep section, are highly recommended based on the fact that students will be heavily tested on algebra skills and reading comprehension.

Junior Luke Peters took the SAT in the fall and thinks Khan Academy is a great source.

“I used Khan Academy to go over new skills and brush up on old ones. It had a lot of problems and review so it was a good way for me to study and prepare. Another tip I would share would be to take the PSAT. It is a good example of the real SAT and helps prepare students for what they will be expecting,” says Peters.

Ordering SAT studying books with example test questions can also help students. They will be able to get an idea of what the test is like and can practice their test taking skills by completing the examples in the

Colleges look at SAT scores, so it's very important to prepare and do well.
Colleges look at SAT scores, so it’s very important to prepare and do well.

book. SAT practice books can be bought or downloaded from CollegeBoard

Looking over vocabulary, such as the ones studied in English classes, will be very beneficial as well. The SATs use tricky words to try to throw off student’s answers. Knowing meanings of higher level words will really help when taking the test.  

Testing Day

The day of the SAT can be very nerve wracking for students, as it is a large skill-testing exam.

Kabke shares her key advice that students should follow to remain calm, cool and collected.

“Before the test, don’t stress out. Make sure you eat a good breakfast and get plenty of sleep,” says Kabke.

It is also very important to arrive on time. Testing begins at 7:30 am. Students should also bring their photo ID, an approved calculator and #2 wooden pencils.

Senior Gibson Porter is familiar with the SAT stress and shares some advice on how to remain calm on testing day.

“If you get stressed and anxious, stop for a second. Take a deep breath, close your eyes and clear your mind to get rid of the unnecessary and cluttering thoughts,” says Porter.

Taking the SAT may seem intimidating, but following tips on how to prepare and study will definitely help reduce nerves and increase scores.