Setting Stone In History

By Danielle Jackson, Sports Editor

Star senior guard Ashley Stone is trying to make her way to becoming the 18th player at Susky to reach 1,000 points.

Ashley Stone sharing a laugh with sister Madison Stone. Photo By;
Ashley Stone shares a laugh with sister Madison Stone. Photo By York Adams Photos.

During her freshman season, Stone didn’t get as much playing time as she hoped, but that didn’t stop her from shining whenever she hit the court. During her freshman year, she only averaged about 2 points a game and  scored 44 points, making 17 two-point field goals and 10 free throws. She also won the Sportsmanship Award for her division. As Stone progressed, she became a starter her sophomore year. Her sophomore year was a huge improvement for her  as she poured in 209 points, making 80 two-pointers and 17 three-pointers. During her sophomore run, the Warriors went on to win the championship that year which made her starter year even better.

Ashley Stone pops the shot. Photo by;
Ashley Stone pops the shot. Photo by York Adams Photos.

Starting for the first time set the tone for the rest of Ashley’s career.

“Starting felt rewarding because it meant all my hard work paid off,” said Stone.

Once all the seniors graduated it was up to Stone and Class of 2015’s Mya Gibbs to lead the team. Stone being a junior meant she had to step up and be a leader of the team. During her junior run, Stone managed to drop in 81 two-pointers and 23 three-pointers. She scored the most points on the team that year, pouring in 263 points. Unfortunately, Ashley’s production wasn’t enough to push the Warriors into the postseason, missing the honor by only one game.

Ashley feels like hitting 1,000 will be a great feeling.

“I would feel grateful because I wouldn’t be here without my coaches, teammates, friends and family,” Stone said.

Stone drives to the hole. Photo By;
Stone drives to the hole. Photo By York Adams Photos.

Stone is half way into her senior season with 724 points under her belt,  more than halfway there. She is only half way through the season and is only 276 points away from history. Averaging about 12 points a game, Stone is inching towards her goal of 1,000 points. With 10 more games to go, fans hope to see Ashley hit her mark before the season comes to an end.