Basketball Season Opener Sets Tone

By Danielle Jackson, Sports Reporter

The Warrior teams went up against the Northeastern Bobcats in their season opener.

Coach makes a plan during a timeout. Photo By; Nathan Rhoades from Avon, IN

Susky girls went into the game 2-0 after their stellar tournament win. Senior Ashley Stone had to step up the leadership by guarding Northeastern’s best player Jordyn Kloster. Kloster has already surpassed the milestone of 1,000 career points that only grew and grew as Kloster scored 22 out of the team’s 26 first half points. On the other hand, sophomore forward Tyler Williams crashed the boards grabbing 9 rebounds and scoring 19 points. The Warriors dominated the second half by only allowing 11 points in the last two quarters. The warriors went on a 30-11 run in the last two quarters which stretched the lead to 26 point victory for the Warriors. The lady Warriors improved their record to 3-0, having a great start to the season.

Sisters Maddie and Ashley Stone share a laugh after their win. Photo By; Bryan Horowitz.
Sisters Maddie and Ashley Stone share a laugh after their win.
Photo By; Bryan Horowitz.

Junior, shared her thoughts on the team’s performance.

“I think we played very well it was a great team win for us. We played well and shared the ball to get open shots” said Williams.

Sophomore forward Anna Mahan shared her thoughts for the team’s future.

“ I think we will do very well if we keep playing like this, “ said Mahan.

Nick Tannura gets to the basket for the lay up. Photo by; CHRIS DUNN
Nick Tannura gets to the basket for the layup. Photo by; CHRIS DUNN

Susky boys were at home for their season opener against Northeastern. Only winning one game last season Susky boys came into the game hungry for a win. The Bobcats led 34-19 before the half which gave them a 60-35 lead before the half. Warriors allowed the Bobcats to drain six of the fifteen 3 pointers before the half. The team’s leading scorer for the game was senior Josh Stoneberg who poured in 14 points for the team; senior Nick Tannura and sophomore Jordan McMillion also added 10 each. The three-pointers were the main catalyst in the game which pushed the bobcats over 100 points to get the victory 101-76.

This year’s season openers were a stepping stone for the rest of the Warrior basketball season.