December’s Teacher of the Month: Katharine Wilt

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

With her nose in her favorite book, The Kite Runner, English teacher Katharine Wilt relaxes and reflects on her day. As usual, it was full of teaching AP and academic students everything from vocabulary to researching classic literature.

Always having a passion for books, Wilt grew up here in York County with her two parents and her brother. She attended school in the Spring Grove school district, where she played soccer before transitioning to field hockey as well as being a member of the swim team. She lived on a small farm, so her childhood was full of activity and horse-riding as well.

“We… just had a wonderful life growing up. I knew I was always loved. I knew I always had them to rely on,” said Wilt. “It was just… one of those idyllic childhoods.”

After high school, Wilt attended Shippensburg University for her undergraduate degree before going to McDaniel College for graduate school. Teaching seemed to run in Wilt’s blood considering her mother and other relatives had taught for years. Because Wilt is so passionate about reading, a trait that developed before she can remember, teaching English seemed to be the perfect outlet to share her love of books.

In her AP class, Wilt extensively teaching 'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe. Photo by Karly Matthews.
In her AP class, Wilt extensively teaches ‘Things Fall Apart’ by Chinua Achebe. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Wilt’s knack for teaching is obvious in the classroom, and her students, like senior Rachel Pugaczewski, respond to her warm teaching style and patience.

“She makes learning fun and interesting, and she shows you the meaning of learning,” said Pugaczewski. “You don’t feel like you’re learning it for the test; you feel like you’re learning it because it’s important.”

Wilt began her career at Susquehannock thirteen years ago right after she graduated college. At the time, she was engaged to her husband, Ryan Wilt, and wanted to stay local to keep in touch with her family, which turned out to be a great decision for her.

“I love being here. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” said Wilt. “I do look forward to coming here even when I want to sleep in. I do look forward to being here every day and seeing [students], and… at the end of the year, I always get sad because I have to say goodbye and wish [them] well.”

During group discussions, Wilt is an active presence, explaining difficult topics to her students. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Wilt enjoys working with high school students because she refers to high school as an “important time in students’ lives,” and she wants to help push students to be their best selves before leaving Susquehannock for college or adult life.

Student teacher Samantha Ribera sees Wilt’s excitement for both teaching and learning when she works with her day-to-day.

“It is an absolute pleasure [working with Wilt]. I could not have been more lucky to have been paired with her,” said Ribera. “I couldn’t have asked for a better-cooperating teacher.”

Now, Wilt’s life revolves around her two children, nine-year-old Josephine and two-year-old Lincoln. Outside of school, she enjoys skiing, a big reason why she is the head of Susquehannock’s Ski Club, and she looks forward to traveling more when her children get older.

Students, especially seniors taking AP English literature, have come to know Wilt as a helping hand through high school English, and for Wilt, there will always be time for another student… and a new novel.