Holiday Share Spreads Some Cheer

By Jake Smith, Assistant Editor-in-chief

This holiday season, Susky is giving back to the community.

An evergreen tree appeared in the auditorium lobby last week, covered in stars, which student council is hoping encourages students to be generous this month. The stars each have gift ideas on them that anyone can take and bring in anytime in the next two weeks.

Freshman Angelica Hunt, who helped organize the drive, is confident about how much the school will donate.

“We want to help families in need to have a happy holiday season,” said Hunt. “Our goal is to raise $3,000 in donations and gifts to make as much impact as possible.”

The tree in the lobby is covered in stars that each represent a specific wish of a child in need, like headphones, movies, and winter accessories.

Stars on the tree in the lobby each have specific gifts on them. Photo by Jake Smith.

The contest is not just Student Council’s effort, though. Aevidum, the club behind last week’s personal care items drive, is planning to throw support behind the event.

Behind the scenes, senior Megan Barnish of Aevidum is helping to make this a successful year.

“We’re trying to promote the program and just get people to realize how important it is,” said Barnish. “It’s an important thing for us to do.”

With so many promotions for the program, students are starting to get excited about providing wishes to disadvantaged families.

Senior Dan Pergrin is one of the many students that plan to donate.

“[Holiday Share] brings our school into the community by proving the less-fortunate people in our area with an opportunity to get a gift,” said Pergrin. “It shows that our school cares so much about the people around us… If you get these kids a gift, they’re going to be ecstatic that they got it.”

However, the stars are not the end of the story. To collect money for Southern Community Services, donation boxes are in every homeroom to help the school reach the goal of $3,000.

In every homeroom, donation boxes encourage generosity from students. Photo by Jake Smith.

How can you help?

“Donate money in homeroom and take stars from the tree… All gifts should be taken to Mrs. McCullough [in room 207] by November 20.” said Hunt.

This holiday season, Susky is helping make the entire district a bit more cheerful.