Homecoming ’12 raises expectations

Homecoming fever is hitting the students at Susky as the hyped up “best dance so far” grows near.

Get Your Ticket!: A picture of this year’s homecoming ticket. Photo by Travis Crane

The dance will take place this Saturday, October 20 at 7:00 P.M. in the main gym at the high school.

The theme of the dance this year is “A Night in the Orient,” in which the gymnasium will be lit by paper lanterns, Chinese symbols, dragons, and a painting of the Great Wall of China. The Student Council will decorate early Saturday morning in order to prepare for the festivities.

Senior Student Council President Kristin Hedgeland is very excited about the dance this year.

Regarding the new lighting situation and school spirit in comparison to past years, Hedgeland stated “It’s my senior year; homecoming couldn’t be better”.  “It is going to be the best one yet.”

Hedgeland also shared information regarding the wrestling light used last year, saying that there will be no wrestling light or flash lights.

“We just want the students to keep it classy,” said Hedgeland. “ That means no touchdown dances (inappropriate grind dance).”

Business teacher Kellin McCullough is in charge of the Homecoming Committee this year.

“This is an opportunity for the whole school to come together and celebrate school spirit,” said McCullough regarding the dance.

Homecoming Court

The Homecoming court has twelve girls being chosen this year due to a three-way tie when there would normally only be ten girls.

This year’s twelve girls chosen for homecoming court. Photo by Morrigan Rassa

The court consists of seniors Molly Knox, Kristin Hedgeland, Brooke Clasing, Jeanette Wilson, Mackenzie Bates, Jessica Amberman, Samantha Leslie, Elizabeth Lutz, Caroline Savin, Caroline Vesper, and Morgan Rassa.

Regarding the football game and the dance, senior Caroline Savin was ecstatic to be chosen to join the select group.

“I’m really excited to be on homecoming court,” said Savin. “And I get a chance to participate in all of the events.”

The entire school voted today to decide the top two honorees and queen of the court. The court will walk the football field at the homecoming game tonight at 6:20 P.M., when the Homecoming Queen will be announced.

“This is an exciting time for these young women,” said McCullough regarding the homecoming court. “The spotlight is on them for their senior homecoming.”