National Honor Society Breaks the Mold

Photo courtesy: Brooke Weber

President Brigit Duffy (left) and adviser James Sterner (second from left) address NHS members.

By Brooke Weber, Reporter

The National Honor Society has elected its new leaders, and they’re ready to make some changes in the traditional organization this year.

This year’s all-senior NHS officers have all been named and are ready to take action in kicking off the service hours of the organization, including Dan Pergrin as secretary, Stephen Rouse as Vice President, and Brigit Duffy as President.

“As an NHS President…I lead the meetings and I…help recruit NHS members to participate in the activities that we have,” said Duffy. “Also, at the inductions we have to give [speeches] about scholarship and other qualities about NHS.”

NHS adviser James Sterner described the society as a community-based organization led by students who excel in academics.

“First and foremost, it’s a recognition of all the work that they put in to become great students and leaders among their peers,” said Sterner. “It then also provides them a platform to serve as an example for other students and affords them leadership experience that will be useful later on in life.”

While the society has always maintained an induction date set in May for all new members, a major change is being implemented this year: the ceremony is being moved to November, and Sterner says the adjustment is a positive one for the school.

“Induction is moving to November so that we can provide opportunities for juniors to build their leadership experience so that when we elect officers, they’re very familiar with the organization,” Sterner said. “…Our hope is that, by doing so, we’ll be able to accomplish even more good and take on some even bigger projects in the future.”

The NHS, which will soon comprise both juniors and seniors in its ranks, will give the same privileges and service hour requirements to both grades, according to Sterner. Junior Luke Brusse, who hopes to become a member of NHS this year, is enthusiastic about the change.

“People, instead of getting into [NHS] and being excited about it at the end of the year and then forgetting about it over the summer, will get to spend the year thinking about NHS,” Brusse said.

NHS members file in for a morning meeting.
Photo courtesy: Brooke Weber

Duffy is also optimistic about the new set of inductees and what they have to bring to the table.

“I am excited that we have changed the initiation process of it because now…the juniors get to start their NHS career earlier than we did, so it gives them more opportunities to commit to service hours and volunteer,” said Duffy. “Honestly, I think it makes sense to…start halfway through their junior year instead of the end of their junior year.”

Currently, the NHS has over 90 active members and an extremely productive record, and doubling that force of good is one aspect of the NHS expansion that has Sterner buzzing.

“Most obviously, we’ll easily double our community service, which I think is gonna be kind of cool,” Sterner said. “Potentially hitting 3,000 hours, that would be insane!…Obviously, my hope would be that it empowers more students in our school to exhibit the characteristics of NHS. With so many more members, I hope that some other opportunities will be available.”

Many aspiring NHS members hope for the same bright future of NHS as the society continues to expand, including Brusse.

“I think some of our class has some good ideas that we can contribute…and evolve NHS and let it move forward,” Brusse said.

As the organization continues to change and grow, the new officers are certainly molding and changing with it, taking the new policies and practices in stride. Duffy sums up how she wants to feel at the end of the year in a few simple words:

“I hope that…[NHS members]…will remember me as someone who really wants people who have seen success in their academic and their community involvement…I want to be…a person who…celebrates their success.”

The NHS stands upon several pillars of success, as stated in this handout given to members.
Photo courtesy: Brooke Weber