Spanish Club Says Hola to the School Year

President Ashley Cox and Spanish teacher Michaele Rayburn talk about club plans. Photo by Karly Matthews.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

The Spanish Club said “hola” for the first time this school year on Wednesday, September 16.

With the aim to further the cultural experience of studying the Spanish language, the club meets multiple times a school year.and is run by Spanish V students along with Spanish teacher Nicholas Schiffgens.

Senior and Spanish Club President Ashley Cox has enjoyed learning about the language. 

“I’m very involved in my Spanish class, so I thought it’d be cool to extend it into Spanish Club,” said Cox.

This year, the club is planning activities connected to Spanish-speaking holidays like El Día de Los Muertos (similar to Halloween), La Navidad (Christmas), El Día de San Valentín (Valentine’s Day) and Cinco de Mayo. Also, like in past years, the club will go to a Mexican restaurant together on April 21. For the full Spanish Club agenda, reference the schedule graphic.

Graphic courtesy of Ashley Cox.
Graphic courtesy of Ashley Cox.

The club officers also have some new ideas for the club such as The Pulsera Project that are in need of administrative approval.

Schiffgens encourages students to try the club out and see what they can learn from being a member this year.

“In club, [I want to see students] using their computers and researching and finding some crazy things that they can share with each other,” said Schiffgens. “[I want us to] blow each other’s socks off with the things that we learn.”

The first meeting, the club discussed the outline of the year as well as deciding on a club t-shirt. In past years, the Spanish Club hasn’t ordered uniform shirts, but club officers decided to show their Spanish Club pride this scholastic year. T-shirt order forms are due to a Spanish teacher on Friday, September 25.

Freshman Alex Fabie is excited to get involved with Spanish Club this year.

“I love Spanish, and I want to learn and do more activities and interact with different people,” said Fabie.

The club will have a station during October Fun Night on October 28, and the next meeting will be November 5 in Schiffgens’s classroom.