Theatre Group ‘Acting Up’ for Fall Season

By Brooke Weber, Reporter

Troupe sponsor William Jenkins preps actors for a read-through.
Photo courtesy: Brooke Weber

International Thespian Society Troupe 4088 is ready to take center stage this fall with events old and new, setting up this theatre group for a jam-packed season.

For the student who might be wondering what role the troupe plays at the school, theatre director and sponsor William Jenkins has an answer.

“The ITS is like an honor society for those students involved in theatre,” said Jenkins. “Students are able to join once they have worked the equivalent of 100 hours on both a play and a musical (whether in cast, crew, pit, costumes, etc.). Membership in the ITS shows a student’s dedication to working in the theatrical arts at SHS.”

Senior and troupe treasurer Shannon Moran has been involved in ITS since her sophomore year and describes it as a sort of club grounded by efforts to bring theatre to the public.

“[We’re] really interested in…connecting with other people and helping the community in…the activities that we do,” Moran said.

Giving back to the community is one of the largest fall priorities of the society, and the troupe has centered several of its core annual events around it, as detailed by senior and troupe president Maggie Kaliszak.

“We have our play [The Crucible]..and then we do October Fun Night and…Trick Or Treat so [Kids] Can Eat…it’s a can drive,” Kaliszak said. “TOTS is an organization where we go around and collect canned goods, and we then donate them to an organization [that] gives the food to families and the local pantries.”

2014's ITS TOTS food drive displayed a great turnout.
Photo courtesy: Ethan Paules
2014’s ITS TOTS food drive raised hundreds of cans for food pantries and needy families.

This year, however, Troupe 4088 doesn’t plan to stop there – Kaliszak revealed that there have been a few new ideas proposed by troupe members, though nothing has been confirmed.

“We’re hoping to hold some things for children…to just get some new things rolling…we want to do some sort of dinner or a children’s theatre,” Kaliszak said. “If we did a dinner theatre or a children’s theatre, I think that people would enjoy having the interaction one-on-one with the people or with the kids.”

Jenkins too hopes for increased involvement overall, not only within the troupe itself, but also extending far beyond the usual boundaries of the average school theatre.

“I hope that our ITS troupe can be better ambassadors for SHS Theatre, not just in our community, but in other school districts,” Jenkins said. “We often joke about how we are ‘in competition’ with other schools, but that’s really not the case. I’m hoping we cannot only go out and bring new people into our little corner of SHS extracurriculars, but also go out and support other schools and cheer on their hard work.”

This newfound drive for school spirit and expanded support may have stemmed from Troupe 4088’s experience at the national ITS festival in Lincoln, Nebraska this past summer, an adventure that Moran certainly believes changed the troupe’s perspective quite a bit.

“I think it’s really brought people together,” Moran said. “I think that we really want to work hard because we know that we’ve gotten that far in the past, and we can do it again, and I think that it’s really boosted our confidence…I think it just made people realize what talent we have.”

Though the troupe’s trip to Lincoln was the first in Susky history, Jenkins believes that members can accomplish even more in the future.

“It’s always my hope that every year the ITS can go above and beyond what they have done in the previous year,” Jenkins said.  “For the officers, I always put out the challenge to ‘leave a legacy’ for the groups that come after them.”

Whatever the future holds for the troupe, the fall season comes first, and with it, the traditional can drive, which Moran hopes will see a great turnout.

“It would be great if people could donate, because it’s for a good cause,” Moran said.

As summer is left behind and fall begins to take hold, Troupe 4088’s excitement and bold new plans are certainly giving the members something to look forward to.

ITS alumni Ethan Paules snaps a selfie of the troupe before last year's Festival performance of The 39 Steps.
Photo Courtesy: Ethan Paules
ITS alumni Ethan Paules snaps a selfie of the troupe before last year’s Festival performance of The 39 Steps.