Dress Code or Mess Code?

Students adjust to a new dress code!

By Abby Deter, Reporter

Screenshot 2015-09-09 at 11.08.20 AM
This is a slide shown to students during their yearly student handbook presentation.

After community complaints of scantily-clad students and rumors of exposed clavicles, the school board is taking action.

In the past few years there have been multiple complaints from community members to  Principal Dr.Kevin Molin.

“…there were people who voiced concerns  about what was being worn in school,” said Molin.

This new dress code has become a very controversial topic among the students this year. Vice Principal Melissa Bell is sympathetic with the student’s qualms, but she also strongly believes that this new system will greatly benefit the school.

“I think anytime you have something, a change, it can be, for anyone, it can be tough,” said Bell.

Screenshot 2015-09-09 at 11.10.29 AM
Assistant Principal Melissa Bell explains new dress code expectations.

There have also been numerous rumors traveling throughout the student body about exactly which changes are being added to the dress code. After speaking to Molin and Bell, it can be concluded that the only changes that will be made to the dress code this year are the ones recorded in the handbook. This means that yoga pants and leggings will not be banned, collar bones are still permitted to be seen, and shorts that reach the point where your fingers connect with your hand will not result in suspension.

Carsen Bateman, a junior who was dress coded on the first day of school, is surprisingly agreeable.

“I think it has good intentions and is just trying to make the school and the students that are in it look more appropriate,” said Bateman.

Students continue to learn to adapt to this new situation as they discover which rumors are true, which are false, and the actual reasoning behind the new dress code.