Carol Martin Bids Susquehannock Goodbye

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

An unsung hero of Susquehannock, computer lab instructional assistant Carol Martin, will be retiring this year after twelve years of holding her position.

“I took the job because of the benefits that the school offered, but it turned out to be the best and most rewarding job I’ve ever had,” said Martin.

Martin is in charge of the writing lab and assisting students in technology. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Though Martin started her career at Susquehannock in the maintenance department in 2000, she found a home in the computer lab three years later. As a part of her job, she assists students with technology in the lab and helps athletes and artists achieve eligibility on game days.

“[My favorite part of the job is] interaction with students [and] helping them out,” said Martin.

With education turning more and more towards technology, Martin and her lab have been an intricate part of students’ and teachers’ productivity over the years. Almost every Susquehannock student has spent time in the writing lab for a school project.

A part of this majority, junior Regan Lawlor has used the writing lab for multiple school-related assignments over her three-year high school career.

“Every time I’ve been in the writing lab, she is very knowledge about the technology that we use, and she is always willing and ready to help us when we need it,” said Lawlor.

Over the years, Martin has worked hard to help students achieve their academic best, and she makes sure that they are eligible for any extra-curricular activities including sports and the theater productions.

Martin shows her school pride with newspaper clippings of successful students. Photo by Karly Matthews.

“I actually had students thank me for telling them that they were failing classes,” said Martin. “That amazed me.”

The writing lab serves as a place for students to spend their study halls or lunches catching up on work, and it’s easy to do so with Martin’s helpfulness and energy. Librarian Sandy May has noticed these qualities since the writing lab borders the library.

“She’s such a positive person,” said May. “It’s like a neighbor is moving away.”

In retirement, Martin looks forward to spending time with her family and grandchildren, but she will miss her coworkers in her newly-found free time. Martin advises teachers and students to enjoy every day because life goes by very quickly.