A Year in Review

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

This year was filled with highs and lows and was jam-packed with important school events. Let’s take a look back at some of the most important events to take place this year.

Sports

• Girls and Boys Lacrosse Win Silver in Counties
    (Left) Sophomore Jack Allred plows through the defenders. (Right) Morgan Leblanc runs past a defender. Courtesy of Lifetouch.

Both SHS teams took a shot at gold in the county finals for boys and girls lacrosse. With a close 14-11 loss, the girls lacrosse team played against division champs Kennard Dale, left the field with a silver medal and moved on to districts with a clean slate. The girls team is currently up for a district consultation match to see if they can make a run in states. The boys lacrosse team played co-division champions West York, lost 16-7 and completed their post-season run in the first round of districts.

• Girls Volleyball “Dig Pink”
    The girls' volleyball team huddles up in their Dig Pink game for Breast Cancer research. Courtesy of Robert DeFelice.
    The girls’ volleyball team huddles up in their Dig Pink game for Breast Cancer research. Courtesy of Robert DeFelice.

The Warrior girls volleyball team raised $3,927 this year for the fight against breast cancer. The team dedicated one of their home games in October to raise money for the Side Out Foundation. The girls put together a car wash and sold t-shirts the week of the game to collect money for the cause. Also, two boys from each grade are selected to run for “Prince of Pink” and raise money throughout the school week, and whoever raises the most money is crowned “Prince of Pink.” This year the team played against Northeastern and won 3-1.

• Girls and Boys Basketball Come Together For Hoops For Hope
    The boys basketball team reps their Hoops for Hope shirts in their game that raises money for the Gastric Cancer Foundation. Courtesy of yearbook.

This year the boys and girls basketball team came together for Hoops For Hope in order to raise money for the Gastric Cancer Foundation. The teams worked together to raise $3,225 by selling t-shirts and collecting donations. Hoops For Hope is held in memory of Janet Ann Haferd who is the sister of the girls basketball coach, Dave Schreiner. All the funds donated to the foundation are on her behalf.

• Football’s Final Victory
    The varsity football team takes the field for another Friday night game. Courtesy of yearbook.

The football team celebrated a win after playing Kennard Dale on their final home game of the season. With a score of 10-9, the seniors were able to walk away from the Friday night lights with a smile.

• Boys and Girls Soccer Win the Division 
    (Left) Senior goaltender Nathan Houser kicks the ball down field. (Right) Senior Brooke McGee dribbles the ball to the goal. Courtesy of Lifetouch.

Ending the regular season, both the boys and girls soccer teams were Division II champions. With a 13-4 record, the boys were able to make a far run in post-season. The girls team ended with a 13-3 regular season and made an appearance in the second round of districts.

• Swimming Boys Become Division II Champs
    The swim team celebrates their season well done. Courtesy of yearbook.

For the first time in school history the boys swimming team won the Division II title. With only one loss and one tie, the team concluded their season with five wins.

Theatre

• Fall Play Takes on 39 Steps
    Junior Kurt Eckenrode starred as Richard Hannay in the the fall play "39 Steps". Courtesy of Lifetouch.
    Junior Kurt Eckenrode starred as Richard Hannay in the the fall play “39 Steps.” Courtesy of Lifetouch.

The SHS theatre performed their fall play 39 Steps and made school history when asked to perform at the International Thespian Society’s 52nd annual festival at the University of Nebraska. 39 Steps is about Richard Hannay who is being framed for the murder of Annabella Schmidt.

• Mary Poppins Comes to the Spring Musical
    Seniors Alexis Anelli and Ethan Paules star as Mary Poppins and Bert in this years spring musical.Courtesy of Lifetouch.
    Seniors Alexis Anelli and Ethan Paules star as Mary Poppins and Bert in this year’s spring musical. Courtesy of Lifetouch.

For the spring musical, the theatre brought the Disney magic and performed Mary Poppins. Starring seniors Alexis Anelli and Ethan Paules as Mary Poppins and Bert, the musical followed the Disney story in a fun and flawless show.

Teachers

• Welcome New Teachers
    Seven new teachers joined the staff for the 2014-2015 school year. Photo by Nicole Michels.

Seven new teachers joined the SHS staff in August. Added to the administration staff is Kate Miklos as a new guidance counselor and Melissa Bell as a new assistant principal. The science department welcomed two new faces: veteran teacher Laura Krotzer and first year teacher Elizabeth Worley. Entering the English department is former Red Lion teacher Marti Smith and first year teacher Madison Carr. Robert Cousineau moved up from the middle school to teach history.

Student Life

• “Homecoming in Hollywood”
    Homecoming in Hollywood brought all of the stars out to dance the night away. Courtesy of Lifetouch.

This year’s homecoming theme was “Homecoming in Hollywood” and students shined. Brittney Fitzgerald won the title of homecoming queen, and both Alexis Anelli and Brandi Bradford were runner-ups.

• Masquerade Prom
    The Masquerade prom held at the Hunt Valley Mansion brought students out dressed in their best. Courtesy of Lifetouch.

Going into the masquerade ball, juniors and seniors danced the night away at the Hunt Valley Mansion. Juniors Matthew Barnhart and Rachel Banchiere were crowned prom prince and princess while seniors Andrew Hoopes and Brandi Bradford were voted prom king and queen.