A New Volleyball Coach Comes to Susquehannock

By Nicole Michels, Reporter

After eight years, Darla Pennewill is taking the head volleyball coaching position at Susquehannock.

Rob Marrison has been the girls volleyball head coach the last several years, and he’s sadly leaving the program for a new coach to take over. Marrison has coached the team into three district championships and seven division wins. That record is going to be hard to match, and the new coach is going to have a lot to live up to.

Starting in the 2015 season, Darla Pennewell will become head coach alongside her husband, Scott. Pennewell has coached volleyball for 28 years and was the head coach before she left in 1994. She continued to coach for the York Y volleyball club, and now she directs it. For the last three years, Pennewell was the assistant junior high coach at Southern Middle School.

The players are all sad that Marrison will be leaving, but they are also excited to see what the new coach can contribute.

Junior Kelly Franz has been a part of the warrior volleyball program since seventh grade, and she has found that her emotions have changed since times gone on.

“At first I was upset hearing that Coach Rob wouldn’t be coaching my senior year because he was an excellent coach that I had a lot of respect for,” said Franz. “It’s also very exciting to have a new perspective in the program, and I’m excited to see what Mrs. Pennewell can add.”

Some of the newer players didn’t get the opportunity to be with Marrison as much as the juniors and seniors have, allowing them to have more of an open mind for the season to come.

Freshman Amber Bortner has known Marrison for a few years since her older sister was a player; however, she never had the opportunity of having him as her coach, making the transition a little easier.

“I’m excited for this upcoming year because Mrs. Pennewell is a great coach who I know will put in the time and effort to make the team great,” said Bortner.

Making the team great is exactly what Pennewell plans to do. With the help of her husband and the coaching staff, she knows they can do something that everyone will remember.

“The current staff has a lot of coaching experience and knowledge,” said Pennewell. “It is our intent to continue the legacy and tradition of a hard working competitive Warrior Volleyball program.”

Everyone is excited to see what the new season will bring and if they will continue down the victory path.