Junior Class Council Works Together to Plan Prom 2015

Junior class council will be selling masks for $1 to add to the theme Masquerade. Photo by: Abigail Benttz

By Abigail Bentz, Editor-in-Chief

Crunch time is approaching for the junior class council as they prepare for this year’s prom.

Class council plans numerous events over four years in order to fundraise for the expenses of being upperclassmen, one being prom. The junior class council plans the junior-senior prom while the seniors have the expenses of graduation, senior banquet, senior picnic, baccalaureate and much more.

Typically class council fundraising events include selling baked goods, spirit beads, lollipops and socks. This junior class even put together a car wash. The money raised has helped reduce ticket prices for students.

While some may not realize, almost every prom has had a theme. Previous themes include The Great Gatsby, Night In Paris and Black Tie Affair. Earlier this year, the council voted on Masquerade as the theme.

Junior class council adviser and french teacher Stephanie South is working with the council to incorporate the theme.

“Masquerade is going to be in the center pieces and in the dress,” said South. “We’re going to have masks that they can wear.”

Class president Eli Holloway has brainstormed with the council to create the atmosphere of a Masquerade.

“We’re selling masks for a dollar at some point, and we’re doing the centerpieces to match the tables,” said Holloway.

Other than the theme, prom will be similar to other years. On May 9, students will enjoy dinner and dancing at The Valley Mansion in Hunt Valley, MD. Last year was the first Susquehannock prom held at this venue.

The Valley Mansion adds a formal touch to Prom. Here the lobby is decorated for the Holidays. Photo by: Abigail Bentz
The Valley Mansion also hosts business events, conferences and weddings. Photo courtesy of Jason Putsche via Pinterst. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/25403185369033209/

South commented that prom will continue to be the enjoyable environment that it has in the past.

“The food is a little bit different from last year, but again, a buffet style dinner,” said South. “We’re going to dismiss individual tables instead of letting everyone go up in a mass. Rules are the same; behavior is always up there.”

Council representative Ellie Holloway is excited for the entire day of prom, including dressing up and taking pictures.

“I’m most excited for the photo booth and props that we will have and also getting ready with my b.f.f.s.,” said Ellie Holloway.

The work that South and the junior class council has put in will certainly pay off Saturday, May 9.