Tim Scripko Retires After 31 Years at Susquehannock

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

After 31 years of teaching at Susquehannock, math trainer and facilitator Tim Scripko is retiring once the 2014-2015 school year concludes.

This frame shows pictures from Scripko's 1998 softball season at Susquehannock. Photo by Karly Matthews (photos within courtesy of Tim Scripko).
This frame shows pictures from Scripko’s 1998 softball season at Susquehannock. Photo by Karly Matthews (photos within courtesy of Tim Scripko).

Scripko started his passion for teaching in high school when he was a member of an organization called Future Teachers of America. In this program, he was actually able to teach a class, and this ignited his passion for education. Scripko attended Harford Community College before transferring to Shippensburg University and later Bloomsburg University, where he graduated.

Scripko began teaching at Susquehannock after teaching for three years in Baltimore County, MD in 1984. Initially, he taught computer programming classes, but over time, he expanded his instruction to basic math like algebra I and algebra II. Soon, he was coaching football and softball for the school as well.

Scripko coached softball for Susquehannock and enjoyed interacting with the athletes throughout the time. Photo courtesy of Tim Scripko.
Scripko coached softball for Susquehannock and enjoyed interacting with the athletes. Photo courtesy of Tim Scripko.

Physical education and health teacher Tony Sorice has taught and coached with Scripko during their Susquehannock careers.

“Coach Scripko adds humor, and especially knowledge [to Susquehannock],” said Sorice. “He has a wealth of knowledge. Everyone comes to him for information about everything.”

In addition to his involvement in the high school, Scripko is also a member of the United States Armed Forces. From 2003 to 2004, Scripko went on leave from teaching to travel to Kosovo as a part of the Army before returning to Susquehannock as a combat veteran.

Having known him for 16 years, fellow math teacher Chris Newland has looked to Scripko as a mentor in his career.

Scripko commemorates his time in the military on his board. Photo by Karly Matthews.

“I will just miss him being around,” said Newland. “He’s a great teacher and a really great friend.”

During his time at Susquehannock, Scripko has enjoyed interacting with the students and has a hard time citing a favorite memory, saying he has “a whole book.” From coaching successful sports teams to small moments like his “push-up contest” (in which students see if they can do more pushups than him) and playing basketball with students, he has immensely enjoyed his years teaching in the Southern York County School District.

“Without [the students] I never could have survived 31 years,” said Scripko.

Senior Zach Leonard had Scripko as a football coach all four years of his high school career.

“Athletically, Coach Scripko has pushed me, as well as the team to be the best we can,” said Leonard. “He is a great motivator and a perfectionist. He loves the sports he coaches, and all players under his leadership respect him and hold him in high regard.”

In retirement, Scripko looks forward to spending time with his grandchildren, who he is in charge of taking to the pool in the summer, and traveling to California to visit his daughter. Also, he plans to work part-time for a math company, and he will be able to travel and give presentations as a part of his position. Still, he will miss interacting with everyone at Susquehannock like he has for the past 31 years.

“It’s been a great run,” said Scripko. “I’d do it again.”