App of the Week Helps Students Finish Their Year

Countdown+ Event Reminders Lite is for free by Apps Beyond and displays multiple countdowns down to the second. Photo: app logo

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

While some apps distract students from almost every assignment and task, there are a couple that can keep us on track. Various “Countdown” apps have been used to get students excited for all of the exciting events to come.

There are several different Countdown apps, each with its own benefits. Some allow users to countdown up to ten events listed in chronological order while others may only give the opportunity to focus on one event.

Senior Brian Sheddy believes a countdown app could be very beneficial to students.

“[One benefit could be]…that it gives you more time to prepare for the event,” said Sheddy.

Graduation is certainly an event that would be added on the menu of countdowns. Students, especially seniors, are looking forward to the end of this year. Having a Countdown app has provided motivation for some to continue working through the last couple months of school. Before the end of school, events like prom, weekend plans, college visits or something as small as a test can be counted down to.

Kathryn Mays is one of the many seniors looking forward to the end of the school year and its activities.

“[I would count down to] prom, graduation, first day of college maybe,” said Mays. “Because they’re important and exciting.”

English teacher Jessica Beste would use a countdown app to keep an eye on an approaching vacation.

“I would say vacation [is something I would count down to]. It’s something exciting and relaxing that I can look forward to,” said Beste.

Users have a variety of Countdown apps to choose from. Consider the following features when selecting an app: options of displayed time (can vary from just days down to seconds), notifications, setting an alarm, and image display, which can all be controlled in the settings. Features like image and alarms may be individualized for each event.

If you’re a student looking for motivation or stressed about the long “To Do” list crammed at the end of the school year, a Countdown app could help you stay on track and enjoy each event.