Indoor Color Guard And Drumline Conquer Championships

The+color+guard+poses+with+their+medals+at+championships.+Photo+credit+of+Carly+Jacque.+

The color guard poses with their medals at championships. Photo credit of Carly Jacque.

By Ally Lilly, Reporter

It’s what the drumline and color guard have worked toward all season, what they have been hearing about since the first day, the most important day of the season: championships. And this weekend, one drumline and one guard were announced the champions of their division.

This Saturday, the color guard had their championship competition at Chambersburg High School, followed by the drumline on Sunday. The color guard performed last out of eight schools, scheduled to take the floor at around 1:50 pm. The guard’s show this year was choreographed by Chrissy Drouin and is titled “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” featuring guard captain senior Haley Jacque. The show earned them a high spot in their category throughout the season, setting them in a good position for championships. Their last score before championships was an 82.510 out of 100 at Redland High School, putting them in second place by less than a point to Cumberland Valley High School. The guard walked away the champions of their division on Saturday with first place and a score of 85.45.

Senior Haley Jacque enjoyed getting to have this show for her senior year.

“It was really nice to have this show because in the past our shows have been kind of not really memorable shows, so it was nice to have a show for my senior year that people are saying, ‘wow that was a really good show,’” said Jacque.

Jacque was happy to be able to lead the guard this season and was proud of the guard for taking first place in their last performance.

The drumline was scheduled to perform on Sunday at around 3:40 pm. The drumline performed first out of five drumlines, facing the most competition they have had all season. The drumline has made several changes to the show to improve their score throughout the season and match their competition. The 2015 indoor show is titled “Wave” and was choreographed by James McGarvey with music written by Wes Harlor. The drumline has had a season with steady improvement leading up to championships. The drumline won its last competition before championships with a score of 83.85 out of 100. The drumline came in fifth on Saturday with a score of 78.65, and while it did not win the division, the group was proud of their performance and showed a large amount of individual improvement.

Senior Sean Slattery believes that this season was important to the drumline because they learned new techniques to help them compete at a higher level in future competitions.

“This is our first year marching inside which is a totally new thing for us,” said Slattery. “I think we did a pretty decent job considering we did not have the chance to have any other years of practice.”

Slattery liked that the show was something very different from previous years and enjoyed being able to implement new techniques in the show for his senior year.