Find a Job, but Be Safe

By Michael Younkin, Commentary Editor

When searching for a job, it is important to get the information about the job before applying. Otherwise, you could end up giving important information to a fake company, thus complicating your life.

Earlier this week, a sign appeared at the end of Susquehannock High School’s entrances. This sign displayed little information, and, upon calling, it began to seem more and more sketchy the longer the call went on. The receptionist asked numerous questions, such as what number we were calling from, whether we like school or not, and, in general, far more than are usually asked in a phone application. When asked what company this was for, all that was given was a mumbled response that was largely unintelligible. Overall, the call gave an extremely uncomfortable feeling, and to go to the interview would likely be dangerous. The information on the sign ended up to not even be entirely accurate, as they will not give an interview until you are 18 years of age, despite the sign advertising 17+. It was all extremely sketchy.

Typically, when looking for a job, the first thing to do upon finding a possible job opportunity is to find out what business or company the job is for. After doing that, research it on Google. Most businesses in today’s world have a website. Find their site, and see if the company is legitimate. After that, ask other people about it. Sometimes, the site may be a fake.

After covering the bases, call the number. Typically, in a phone application, they will ask a couple questions, and it should take no longer than 5-10 minutes. If they seem to be asking too many questions, or sensitive questions, they might not be authentic. Be sure to ask any questions you may have in a polite manor, and do not chat. Keep it to the point. Do not give them false information because they are entering your information into the computer and can figure out if you are lying.

Finally, they will finish the call by setting up an interview date. Be sure, as with all job interviews, to arrive early. Dress to impress, and go in confident. With these guidelines, your job seeking experience should be far safer than to go in head first.