App of the Week: Trivia Crack

There are four options to chose from and power-ups. Photo by: Abby Phillips

Students and teachers have been addicted to the app Trivia Crack. This app is not only fun, but it is also a great way to compete against others in an educational way.

About 30,000 people on the Apple App store in America use Trivia Crack because of how addictively fun it is.  This app was released in October 2013, but in December 2014  it became the most downloaded game from the Apple App store. Trivia Crack is not only available on the Apple App store, but also on Facebook, Google Play, Amazon, and Windows Phone store.

This app quizzes audiences from a range of topics: history, sports, geography, art, science, and entertainment. The game starts by spinning a wheel to choose the category that is going to be tested on. The questions being asked are made up by users, not by the company. Once the question starts, there is a 30 second timer to make sure nobody could cheat and look up the question. If the answer is correct, the game keeps going by spinning the wheel again, and after the same category as been answered correctly a few times, the user wins the character. If three questions are answered correctly in a row, the player can choose any category. There is also an option to challenge friends to steal their characters. After all the characters are received, the player wins the round.

Not only are the students interested in Trivia Crack, but teachers also love to play this game.  Social studies teacher Abby Kocher has enjoyed playing Trivia Crack with her students.

“I’m learning a lot of fun facts and finding out that kids are very competitive,” said Kocher. “I think it was a unique way for you guys to be involved in the learning process, and the idea of having a competition between your teachers.”

Teachers aren’t the only ones having fun playing Trivia Crack; students have also benefited from this app.

Freshman Emma Steinauer has a positive opinion on this app.

“I learned new information, and got to see what I already knew and what I don’t know,” says Steinauer.

Trivia Crack offers educational opportunities for anyone wanting to learn or test their knowledge against friends or other users.