Sexual Harassment: Not a Laughing Matter

The guidance office is open for students to report an incident or talk about any issues going on. Photo By: Grace Burns

By Grace Burns, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Perhaps one of the most overlooked issues in the educational environment today is sexual harassment among students.

A survey taken in the 2010-2011 school year revealed that 48% of middle and high school students were sexually harassed at least once during the year according to the U.S. News and World Report.  Comprehending the issue and its consequences is vital in strengthening students’ abilities to make wise decisions.

What is it?

According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.  The gender of both the victim and harasser may be the same.  Simple joking does not violate the law, but extremely repetitive or harsh harassment that results in a hostile environment is illegal.  The way a person perceives another’s actions is the determining factor in the event of sexual harassment.

What is the policy at Susquehannock?

In order to ensure a safe learning environment at school, no type of harassment is permitted.  Consequences, ranging from suspension to police involvement, will readily be given to anyone who defies the terms of the school’s policy.  The student handbook identifies sexual harassment as “any unwelcome sexual advance, request for sexual favors, or other inappropriate verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, including harassment based on sexual orientation made toward a student.”  A full description of the school’s policy can be found in the Student Handbook.

The Student Handbook states the official policy for sexual harassment.  Screenshot By: Grace Burns
The Student Handbook states the official policy for sexual harassment. Screenshot By: Grace Burns
Students may enter the main office and speak to principals or secretaries in the event of an incident.  Photo By: Grace Burns
Students may enter the main office and speak to principals or secretaries in the event of an incident. Photo By: Grace Burns

How is this applicable?

From a recent incident, one anonymous student reported a situation where he/she felt sexually harassed.  The alleged perpetrators faced suspension as a consequence despite the fact that they deny harassing the victim.

The anonymous victim in this situation strongly encourages other students to speak up in the event of sexual harassment.

“If you see it happening, you should help that person stick up for [himself/herself], and if you are being harassed, you need to find the courage within yourself to say something.”

Even one accused  harasser stresses the importance of being mindful around others.

“[Students should remember] to respect others’ boundaries.”

Why does this issue need to be taken seriously?

Sexual harassment is likely to result in not only school-based consequences, but also vast, emotional effects on victims.

Principal Kevin Molin greatly emphasizes the importance of taking the issue of sexual harassment seriously as the repercussions, especially later in life, can be extensive.

“How we treat people is a life lesson,” said Molin. “It’s important that we learn those lessons now because they have deeper ramifications in the future.”

What may seem like careless joking to one person could be offensive and inappropriate harassment to another.  Students deserve a comfortable, welcoming learning environment at school where they are not plagued by the presence of harassers.