Retired Susquehannock teacher passes away

ALWINE
This picture was taken from the 2011 Calumet yearbook.
Photo By: LifeTouch

One of Susquehannock’s beloved retired physics teachers, Ken Alwine, has passed away at the age of 59.

It is a loss that is felt by the entire community here at Susquehannock High School. Alwine was a Physics teacher at the high school for nearly 30 years; he also coached track and was assistant coach for the Warrior football team.

Physical Education and Health teacher Tony Sorice described Alwine as passionate.

“Whether it be about sports, family, teaching, just everything,” said Sorice. “No matter what he did or said, he had passion for it and always showed it.

The relationship of these two peaked when it came to football. Sorice mentioned that they coached for nearly 20 years together. Alwine assisted Sorice during his entire tenure from 1991 to 2002. “I never really saw him get mad on the sidelines,” said Sorice. “Instead of getting mad and throwing a fit, he took time to explain to the kids what was going wrong, and how to fix it.”

There are many fond memories of Alwine that surround the high school community. The Class of 2014 was Alwine’s last class to pass through before his retirement.

Senior Katie Wagner had him as a teacher her freshmen year.

“He was very tough on you and expected a lot from you,” said Wagner. “Mr. Alwine pushed you to the maximum achievements that you could have.”

Alwine was also known for what he said in the classroom; whether it be for his funny comments or even serious ones, there were many to go around.

“We’re not playing for warm seats and smiles, but for credit” was one of Alwine’s most memorable sayings for Wagner. “He made me laugh all the time with some of the things he had to say,” said Wagner.

Teachers adored his teaching skills as well and the conversations they’d have throughout the school day. Science teacher Kyle Jane tells us about his experiences when Alwine while teaching.

“Alwine was teaching here for my first three years, then retired,” said Jane. “When I first began teaching, he inspired me through many of his teaching skills, and taught me to be intense with the students.”

Teachers and students will truly miss him, but many of his memories will last a lifetime here at Susquehannock.

“The legacy of Ken will live on forever,” said math teacher Chris Newland in an email he sent out on December 6. The rep council of the high school will be donating $500.00 to the Kenneth J. Alwine Scholarship Fund through the SYCSD Foundation.

Alwine will always be remembered here in the Southern York County School District whether it be through what he has said or what he was apart of.