Syria crisis continues to aggravate

120px-Satellite_image_of_Syria_in_May_2003
Satellite image of Syria in May 2003. Cropped image, original taken from NASA’s Visible Earth
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=5332

The United States Sub-Senate Panel held a conference to vote for or against bombing Syria on September 4.

Syria has been reported to have allegedly used chemical weapons against citizens in their country on August 21. Chemical weapons cause extremely painful and violent deaths and can be in the form of either a gas, liquid, or solid; These weapons have been banned by international law during the Chemical Weapons Convention in 1993, prohibiting them from being produced, stockpiled, or traded.

This is one of the reasons why President Obama said the U.S should take action. Obama declared that in order to keep our credibility and look strong, action should be enforced, according to BBC. According to CNN, the sub-Senate’s vote is 24 yes, 17 no, and 59 are undecided.

However, a total of 90% of American citizens disagree and say that the U.S should absolutely not take action states BBC.

They feel that the US does not need any more conflict with other countries, but the senate disagrees by saying the American’s must keep the credibility to protect ourselves from possible attacks by other nations.

Social Studies teacher Matt Amberman is indifferent on the issue.

401px-TAG_No_War_On_Syria_02
Anti-bombing activists in Manhattan. By Thomas Altfather Good (Original Work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

“It’s tough because part of me says I don’t want us involved in more conflict that we don’t need,” said Amberman. “But if they are using chemical weapons on their people, we should intervene by taking out their weapons and factories and not act as the U.S alone.”

Russian president Vladimir Putin warned the U.S that any negative action towards Syria would be seen as an act of terrorism, especially without backing from the United Nations, in BBC’s article ‘Putin’s jabs strike home.

Senior Zach Shelley believes that if the U.S does take extreme action against Syria, it won’t lead to another war.

“I think other countries have distanced themselves from Syria so much that if we do take action I doubt Russia would do it,” said Shelley.

Although the United States government has not yet shown any reliable proof to Russia or American citizens that Syria has used chemical weapons on their people, Putin says there is no doubt that they didn’t. However, he would only respond when stable proof is evident, according to BBC News.

Out of all the countries in the UN, France is the only one who agreed with Obama. On september 4, the same day as the Sub-Senate, France held a debate as to whether or not they should take action.

Despite a common thought that France hasn’t been much help in past years, Amberman thinks France is a good ally to have on our side.

“They’re a good ally, but they’re not a good friend,” said Amberman. “They gave us no support in Iran and have taken shots at our foreign policy.”

Shelley agrees with Amberman’s opinion about France.

“It’s always good to have international backing,” said Shelley.

In the midst of all this, the U.S’s biggest trading partner, China, is also against us taking action and has sided with Russia. If Obama pushes this through, there is a high possibility that the U.S may lose China as an ally.