Mr. Kaliszak Returns to High School

Mr. Kaliszak Returns to High School

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

Alumni Scott Kaliszak has returned to the building as the orchestra substitute for the year while teacher Zach Levi focuses on receiving his doctorate.

screenshot-2016-10-26-at-8-14-11-am
Kaliszak helps junior Justin Feild to work through a tough passage.

Kaliszak had known he  wanted a music profession.

“It was freshman year. I decided I wanted to be a music teacher,” said Kaliszak. “I always knew I enjoyed music, and I had a good connection with other people… so I wanted to connect with people through music.”

Band director Chris Poole has gone through the transition of being Kaliszak’s teacher to now having him as a colleague.

“It’s been very enjoyable,” said Poole. “It’s been fun seeing him progress from being a member of the orchestra to now being faculty.”

This change impacts the students the most. Some of the orchestra members have had Levi since third grade, so to switch teachers
now is very different for them.

screenshot-2016-10-26-at-8-13-56-am
The students welcome Kaliszak by celebrating his birthday.

Junior Hannah Munch talks about how having a different teacher has changed this year so far.

“It’s definitely different, but it’s nice to have a change of direction,” said Munch. “It’s cool to see the different teaching style… but he’s still keeping our concerts and activities pretty much the same, so it’s not too different.”

Kaliszak looks forward to leading his first school orchestra and is very excited for the future.

“I’m most excited for the orchestra trip,” said Kaliszak. “It was always a great experience when I was here… it’s a great way to explore a new city and sum up the year.”

The upcoming orchestra concert is on Thursday, October 27 at 7 pm.