Language Teaches Lessons

Photo by Emily Christian

By Emily Christian, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Imagine walking down the hallways and sitting in class wanting nothing more than to engage in a conversation with your friends. Only, you can’t because of one barrier… you don’t speak English.

This is what several students experienced on Friday, September 23. To show students first-hand what being an immigrant and alienation feels like, students in Spanish V and French IV/AP spent Friday, September 23, wandering about as normal, all while only being capable of speaking in French or Spanish.   

Mackenzie Marzullo speaking French. Photo by Emily Christian

This task presented students with challenges and forced them to overcome barriers. While understanding the difficulties Friday would bring her, senior and Spanish student Jessica McDonald had a positive viewpoint on Friday’s outcome.

“It’ll be difficult with the language barriers. I don’t know all of the words so it’ll be hard to communicate. But it’s a good way of experiencing what other people and ESL kids experience even in our school,” said McDonald.

Sharing a similar opinion with McDonald, senior Brittany Roberts focused on the difficulties the language barrier will bring as well.

Jessica McDonald trying to communicate with friends in Spanish. Photo by Emily Christian

“I think that it’s going to be very hard. I won’t be able to speak with people that are not in my Spanish class,” said Roberts. “However, I like that we’ll be able to see what it’s like to not speak the common language and have to speak a different one instead.”

As Friday came and went, students were able to reflect upon their non-English speaking experience. One student in particular was senior, French and Spanish student, Mackenzie Marzullo.

“Before Friday, I was really nervous that no one was going to understand me, and I wouldn’t be able to communicate, but it actually went really well,” said Marzullo. “Most people were willing to be patient and try to get what I was saying even though they didn’t understand the exact words. I thought this experience was very benefiting, and it taught me what other people, such as immigrants, go through on a daily basis, and it’s tough.”

Having friends in both language classes and currently not being enrolled in a language class, senior Danielle Moore shared her recollection of trying to communicate with her friends.

“Being surrounded by non-English speakers was an interesting and different experience. I was somewhat able to communicate with the French speakers because I have taken 3 years of French,” said Moore. “But I had to use context clues and body language to communicate with the Spanish kids. It was challenging and frustrating at times, but it was fun to experience and funny to watch my friends try to talk to me.”

French teacher Stephanie Myers hoped this event would be a fun way to help students understand the difficulties

Follow up questions for the French students on how their Friday went. Photo by Emily Christian

others go through.

“I thought it would go well. Kids struggle a little more with alienation and difficulties going on, especially with people who don’t understand you,” said Myers. “The kids did awesome with this task.”

Although language barriers can create obstacles and difficulties, the language students seemed to enjoy not speaking in English for a change. This may not be the only time the language students do this task, as it was a positive way to encourage students to understand what difficulties others face.