Orchestra Students Feel the F.A.M.E

Orchestra Students Feel the F.A.M.E

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

After hours in weekly rehearsals preparing for their end of the season concert, sophomore Hannah Munch and freshman Lindsey Snyder performed with the F.A.M.E youth orchestra on March 20.

Screenshot 2016-03-22 at 11.17.01 AM
Sherman awaits excitedly to hear his piece. Photo by Margarida Sherman

F.A.M.E is a Maryland based youth orchestra that gives high school level musicians a chance to be involved in a more advanced music group.

One of the pieces the group performed was the competition winning “Allegro for Strings” written by sophomore Lucas Sherman.

Even though it’s not the first time hearing it played by a live orchestra, it was still a rewarding experience for Sherman to be able to hear it.

“Last time I heard it played, it was by the York Symphony, so it was cool to hear it by a youth orchestra this time instead,” said Sherman. “I could tell they worked hard on it.”

There are a lot of rehearsals that go into preparing for the concerts. Snyder describes what they

Screenshot 2016-03-22 at 9.23.46 PM
Munch has been playing in the F.A.M.E orchestra for two years. Photo by Kelcie Baker

do to get ready.

“We have weekly rehearsal on Saturday mornings,” said Snyder. “We spend time rehearsing with the whole group and then we take time to rehearse with our specific sections.”

Being involved in an organization like this is very beneficial to young musicians to help further their music careers.

Munch enjoys being a part of an orchestra that is more advanced.

“I like being able to play with other dedicated people,” said Munch. “You can tell that everyone works really hard. A lot of the kids take private lessons and are advanced players, so it’s a really good experience.”

The orchestra has put together many fantastic performances. Although their season is over this year, be sure to see all of the talented musicians in their performances next year.