Seniors Swim their Last Event

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

With a large crowd roaring in the bleachers, the seniors swam against Northeastern for their last meet before the championships  on January 28.

Many of the seniors were sad to say goodbye to the sport they have been dedicated to for the last four years.

Senior  swim captain Gibson Porter is going to miss the team.

Screenshot 2016-02-11 at 9.10.06 AM
Swimmers get ready to perform in their last events. Photo by Micah Metzel

“I’m going to miss the friends and relationships I have made on this team the most,” said Porter. “It was bittersweet knowing it was the last time I will swim with all of those people.”

There was a great energy amongst the crowd because so many people came out to support the seniors on their last meet.

Junior swimmer Alli Reed was glad to see such a great turnout for the meet.

“There were a lot of people in the crowd, so it made the meet really exciting,” said Reed. “It got really loud, especially during the final events. We all cheered really loud for the seniors too.”

The atmosphere of the meet was filled with excitement as a lot of the races were very close.

Sophomore swimmer Nate Hunsinger enjoyed the meet.

“[The meet was] a great experience for us,” said Hunsinger. “It’s sad to think the senior are leaving, but the meet was really fun.”

This group of seniors have been looked up to as the leaders of the team for a while now since they are a group of personalities that work really well with the team.Screenshot 2016-02-11 at 10.24.53 AM

Everyone is very sad to see them go, especially coach Brian Wingert.

“This class is special to me because they are the first team I started from when they were freshmen and had four years in a row,” said Wingert. “They are a large class with a lot of unique personalities.”