President Obama’s Address Should Interest Students

The audience, both in the room and around the country, listened attentively to President Obama. Photo courtesy of Getty Images and Bloomsberg.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

As a high school student, it is difficult to decipher presidential speeches, yet, in the case of President Obama’s 2015 State of the Union Address, there are certain issues that require our attention.

The president arguably gave himself a bit too much credit when it came to the improving economy; Obama mentioned that the economy has gained 11 million new jobs over his term, and he popularly withdrew troops from Afghanistan. He also proceeded to make smart comments when met with opposition in one section of his speech. When he commented that he had “no more campaigns to run,” adversaries in the audience applauded. In response, Obama shot a glance at the clappers and stated, “I know because I won both of them.”

In regards to that, Obama asked the American people earlier in the speech, “Will we allow ourselves to be sorted into factions and turn against one another?” However, when he was faced with the audience clapping, he, again, immediately resorted to using snappy comebacks during a professional address.

Junior Nathan Shelley was not impressed with the address as he believes that it simply restated obvious issues.

“It seems like [the speech] doesn’t really address that many issues,” said Shelley. “It’s just saying what’s going on, but it doesn’t seem like any solutions are presented.”

Despite some discrepancies in the way he carried himself, Obama hit on some important points that could drastically affect American youth in the upcoming years, and many were anxious to hear what he had to say on the matters.

Currently, America has the highest reading and math scores for younger grades in the world, and Obama added that American high school graduation rates are at an all-time high. Later, he used these facts to transition to his newest education proposal.

As The Courier covered previously, Obama is an avid supporter of offering two free years of community college to high school graduates. He added that 40 percent of students attend a community college, and he wants to ensure that “student debt doesn’t derail anyone’s dreams.”

Within his address, he mentioned that “two in three jobs will require higher education,” which is his justification for proposing free community college. In a job market that is anything but plentiful, it makes sense that the president wants to prepare American citizens for the work force, though there is much debate about how he wants to do so.

Junior Will Earls recognizes two free years of community college as a handout, which is the controversial aspect of the president’s proposition.

“I know the issue of government handouts is controversial. Some people are saying that the government should help people out more, and some people think that people should be able to support themselves,” said Earls. “I know that [the debate] has been a prevalent issue throughout the past.”

In recent years, the question of Internet laws that will create a safe, virtual environment have been brought up in many political campaigns. According to iKeepSafe, Americans ages 8 to 18 spend 44.5 hours a week on some form of technology, much of that involving the Internet. While freedom of speech is a huge component to what the government can and cannot do regarding the Internet, some say that this “new frontier” is an extremely dangerous one; yet, Obama confidently stated that “I intend to protect a free and open Internet, extend its reach to every classroom, every community.”

The president also mentioned issues like those of the military and those of equal pay for men and women.

Senior Sierra Clary was encouraged by Obama’s support of equal rights.

“I think that because of the address, it brought [inequality] more attention,” said Clary. “I don’t think it’s fair that men get paid more than women in the year 2015.”

While Obama touched on many issues that affect Americans, high school students can zero in on a few that focus on our futures. For a full write-up of the address, visit Whitehouse.gov or watch the presentation through this link.