2014-2015 Winter Predictions

The+New+Freedom+rail+trail+is+blanketed+in+snow+last+year.+Photo+by+Kerrie+DeFelice.+

The New Freedom rail trail is blanketed in snow last year. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

After last year’s snow-pocalypse, citizens of Southern York County experienced almost 14 inches of snow, and this winter will supposedly yield the same amount.

Snow piled on top of the district in late 2013 and early 2014 which caused many snow days for Susquehannock. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

According to the 2014 Farmers Almanac, this winter will be colder than normal. The cold temperatures, will occur in early to mid-December, and the snow fall will occur in mid-December and early February. In 2013, PA received only 1.10 inches of snowfall, and in early 2014 alone, PA racked up a total of 12.60 inches of snow.

Senior Sierra Patterson’s preparation for this year’s winter involves getting all of her academics in order first.

“I will try and get all of my homework and college applications done,” said Patterson. “That way I have time to enjoy my break.”

As for her classmate senior Josh Senn, he has decided to break out a lot of clothing and snuggies. He adds that he likes to get to build snowmen.

“[I like having harsh winters] because I get to go snowboarding.” said Senn.

Citizens of Southern York County experienced 13.70 inches of snow last winter. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

The Post Gazette suggests that people should get oil, wood supplies, and gas supplies ready early as well as snowblowers and shovels.

Social studies teacher Heather Schoemaker is going to get her students prepared for this year’s polar vortex by putting her assignments online to utilize the snow days to come.

“I’ll be taking advantage by posting information online for the students to access from home, and now that they have access to email and Google docs, we can actually be incorporating the Google docs,” said Schoemaker. “If there is [a] collaborative project, the kids can still access the Internet at home. I do understand that some kids do not have access to the internet, but I will always make sure there is a hard copy before any snow storm is announced.”

The effect of last winter's snow-pocolapse. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.
The effect of last winter’s snow-pocalypse. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

With the use of online assignments, Senn hopes that the graduation date will not be pushed back due to snow days. Currently the graduation date is set for June 3, 2015, but after last year’s weather conditions and this year’s winter prediction, it is unknown to students and staff when the year will end.