The best of Netflix

Let’s face it- most of the time, watching Netflix is better than anything else. Homework is never better than instant streaming; binge-watching shows can be more fun than going outside; viewing movie after movie on a rainy day is better than making plans.

However, picking something to watch from the thousands of titles available to stream can be a huge task, especially with 76,897 subcategories. So, here is the best of Netflix in comedy, horror, documentary, drama, action adventure, and TV shows.

Comedy-

Tiny Furniture

Before Lena Dunham became an icon in her smash hit show Girls, she wrote and starred in this movie about the struggles of a recent college graduate.

Heathers

This movie is a dark comedy about death, mental disorders, and high school. Murder has never been funnier. Also, a young Phill Lewis, who played Mr.Moseby on Suite Life of Zack and Cody, has a cameo.

Sleepwalk With Me

Mike Birbiglia adapted his standup comedy routine into this quietly hilarious movie about, among other things, potentially deadly sleepwalking.

Safety Not Guaranteed

Aubrey Plaza heads this charming movie about a team investigating a man who may or may not have figured out how to time travel.

Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive

Ansari is known for Parks and Recreation, but he is strongest during his live shows. The performance is exclusive to Netflix.

Submarine

Richard Ayoade (The Watch) directed this subtle comedy-drama. It is without doubt one of the best movies able to be streamed.

Horror-

Blair Witch Project

This is the original found footage movie, filmed completely in northern Maryland. Three people making a documentary on witches slowly go crazy in the wilderness.

The Silence of the Lambs

Without a doubt, this is one of the most disturbing movies on Netflix. The plot hinges on serial killers, cannibalism, and clothes made from skin.

Night of the Living Dead

This is the movie that created the modern zombie. Any zombie show or movie, from The Walking Dead to Shaun of the Dead draw from George Romero’s classic.

The Cabin in the Woods

A fun, satirical horror movie directed by Joss Whedon about teens being murdered by zombies controlled by a secret government organization.

Documentaries-

Blackfish

You most likely have heard of this one about SeaWorld’s abuse and mismanagement of killer whales. This documentary is still in the news and is causing major issues for the theme park.

Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry

Weiwei is a Chinese artist who continually defies the government there. This documentary manages to capture what makes him so interesting.

A Band Called Death

The true story of the first real punk band, formed by three brothers.

Dramas-

Hotel Rwanda

Based on the real genocide of the Tutsi people by the Hutu people in Rwanda in 1994, this film manages to capture the suspense and agony of the conflict.

Manhattan

One of Woody Allen’s most famous films, the story centers around a man’s dating troubles in New York.

Zodiac

Jake Gyllenhaal stars in this suspenseful drama about the Zodiac killer who terrorized the San Francisco area in the 1970s.

Action Adventure-

The Grey

Liam Neeson fights wolves in the arctic. It’s exactly what it sounds like.

The Avengers

One of the highest grossing films of all time. It probably doesn’t need any introduction.

Fargo

The Coen Brothers directed this dark comedy about a ruined fake kidnapping. It’s worth watching just for Steve Buscemi, the funniest actor in the movie.

Big Trouble in Little China

This 80s genre-bending cult classic is like a cheaper Indiana Jones with martial arts. It’s fun to watch and is easy to watch over and over again.

TV Shows-

Scandal

Kerry Washington stars in this political drama about affairs, murder, and election rigging. The show is really easy to binge watch.

American Horror Story

A dark and disturbing anthology starring Jessica Lange and an impressive group of guest stars. Some scenes of this show are more terrifying than many other movies on Netflix.

New Girl

Zooey Deschanel heads this comedy about quirky roommates living in California. It’s hard to describe because it follows so many different plotlines, but it’s much better than it sounds.

Arrested Development

Netflix revived this endlessly rewatchable cult comedy, which is almost necessary viewing. Give it three episodes to win you over. You won’t regret it.