Swimmers keep their heads up

Sophomore Gibby Porter swims against Chambersburg boys in the breast stroke race. Photo By: Grace Burns

Despite a rough start to the season, the boys and girls swim teams are eager to turn their record around.

The boys team has a record of 1-4, while the girls team is 0-5.  Both teams suffered overwhelming losses in their first two meets.  In the invitational on Saturday, December 7, the girls team placed thirteenth out of 14 teams while the boys team secured ninth place out of 13 teams.   On Thursday, December 12, Central York crushed the boys team 117-53, as well as the girls team 131-39.

However, in the meets against South Western and West York, the boys team came close to victory with close losses of 86.5-83.5 and 89-81.  The girls team also lost both with scores of 113-57 and 97-72.

In the exciting meet against Chambersburg on Monday, January 13, the boys team pulled off its first win with a score of 99-70.  Unfortunately, the girls team lost to Chambersburg 101-69.

Even with the early losses, head coach and science teacher Brian Wingert has been pleased overall with the swimmers’ performances so far this season.

“I’ve seen a lot of kids stepping up to fill the shoes of the seniors that graduated,” said Wingert. “They’re branching out by trying different strokes instead of the stuff they’re comfortable with and really pushing themselves the extra mile.”

He predicted the early losses were due to fundamental errors as well as strong Division 1 opponents.  However, according to Wingert, as long as the teams get enough practice time, eliminate any bad habits, and do not get discouraged by their current record, there will likely be wins in store for both teams.  Wingert even anticipates more swimmers advancing to the postseason this year than the previous year.  Standout swimmers on the boys team include junior Evan Mosko, sophomore Ryan Gloeckner, sophomore Robert Jackson, and senior Robert Altom, whose three wins in the 200 freestyle relay team demonstrate great potential.  Jackson recently contributed to the win against Chambersburg, placing first in the 100 freestyle race and swimming the second leg of the 200 freestyle relay team that won.  For the girls team, Katie Steines has stood out with her individual win in the 500 freestyle race against South Western and West York.  She has also taken a first and second place for the 200 freestyle race.

Not only is Wingert keeping a positive outlook, but many members of the team are also sharing this positivity.  Sophomore Hailey Villa, who has dropped time on all of her events, has seen notable improvement within the team so far.

“Our times are getting better,” Villa said, “and the scores are getting closer.  Everyone has to step up because we have to get to the realization that the seniors are leaving next year, so we need to start pushing ourselves harder.  We also have to start thinking about county times.”

Junior Mark Freidhoff commends the team on keeping a positive attitude and improving so far but notes that everyone needs to stay motivated.

“We need people to be willing to keep going,” observed Freidhoff.  “The way you improve is by pushing your ability past the limit.”

Both teams are determined to have a successful rest of the season and a long postseason.