Fall sports postseason updates

Three fall sports are currently representing Susquehannock well in all of their postseason runs, check what has happened in the latest action.

BOYS SOCCER:

On Monday, Oct. 21 the Warrior soccer team beat the visiting Hamburg Hawks 2-0 in the first round of district play. Senior Nathan Bilbie scored the go-ahead goal with less than 30 minutes to play in the second half from an assist from junior Alex Rebich. Junior Andrew Sweigard found the back of the net from an assist from junior Duncan Mitchell close to the end of the game to insure the Warriors an opening District win. Senior goalkeeper Mike Jones had eight saves in the game with the help of an outstanding Susquehannock defense. The Warriors (11-4), who are ranked #8 in the District power rankings, will face the #1 ranked Gettysburg Warriors (15-1) Thursday, Oct. 24.

FIELD HOCKEY:

The Warrior field hockey team ended their postseason run on Tuesday, Oct. 22 losing 2-1 to Lancaster Catholic in double overtime in the first round of District play. Senior Tayler Mumley scored early in the first period for Susky and had the lead most of the game until the Crusaders found the back of the net with four minutes left to go in regulation. After the first overtime Lancaster Catholic scored once more to clinch the game and advance to the quarterfinals against Oley Valley. Senior goalie Ashton Alban stopped 13 shots for Susquehannock.

VOLLEYBALL:

Susquehannock defeated the Hanover Nighthawks all three sets on Monday, October 21 in the County tournament, 25-17, 25-17, 25-14. With the win, the Warriors advanced to the county semi-finals at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday evening. Senior Abbey Barnhart finished with 16 digs, 3 kills, 1 ace, and 1 block, senior Halle Murdock finished with 4 kills and 3 blocks, and sophomore Lauren Castriota finished with 10 digs.

The girls volleyball team then fell against the #1 AA ranked Delone Catholic Tuesday, Oct. 22. The Warriors were eliminated as YAIAA Division I champions (25-22, 25-21, 22-25, 25-18); they played four games against the Squirettes, winning the third set. Key players included junior Abby Bentz with 16 kills, 16 digs, 5 assists, and 3 aces, sophomore Kelly Franz with 17 assists and 18 digs, and senior Bethany Miller with 30 digs, 2 assists, and 1 kill.

The Warriors however are still in the fight for the district tournament, playing their first game in the Sweet 16 round on Saturday, Oct. 26 at Hempfield High School at 3:00 p.m.