Track Team Supports Mental Health

Track Team Supports Mental Health

Senior Abigail Fisher competes in one the sprint events during the track meet against Dover on May 1. Fisher runs the 100, 200, and 400 meter events, as well as the 4×100 and 4×400 meter relays. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Senior Julia Polaski walks along the track with her parents Ron and Dawn Polaski during Senior Night recognition prior to the track meet on April 30. As a distance runner she regularly competes in the 4×800 meter relay and the 1600 and 1800 meter events. “It’s fun to be able to do more than one thing, have a bunch of races rather than one big race and you’re done, ” said Polaski. Photograph by Ron Polaski.

Senior Robert Rosul takes charge during the 1600 meter event at the May 1 track meet against Dover High School. Rosul also runs the 3200 meter and 4X800 meter relay events. “I love our seniors and hate to see them go,” head coach Cody McCredie said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

The students of the track team all come together to showcase their “Mental Health Matters” shirts to support Dover after their loss of two students due to suicide. Senior Michael Fox describes the act of these shirts and how it affected the track team. “It was very meaningful what they did, it was a very touchy subject and they brought it to light”. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Senior Michael Fox steps into the blocks to prepare for the start of the 400 meter event. Fox completed the sprint events during the track meet on May 1 against Dover High School. With the performance of Fox and many other track members the team defeated Dover to rebound from a loss in their previous meet. “We were disappointed but we were able to bounce back for Dover,” Fox said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle.

Students show their support of “Mental Health Matters” with t-shirts during their May 1 track meet. “I really like how we included the white shirts during the meet, especially looking back to the track season last year, losing one of our own teammates due to mental health issues,” sophomore Nicholas Torregrossa said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

The pack of runners take off at the beginning of the 1600 meter race during the Warriors’ win against Dover in the May 1 track meet. Seniors Andrew Hetzer, Caleb Keener, and Stephen Mayoryk run this event for the last time in the regular track season, but they have a chance to run once more during invitationals. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Sophomore Patrick O’Brien participates in the pole vault event during the track meet on May 1 against Dover High School. Teammates gather as they support O’Brien and his teammates. “It’s important to bring everyone together and remind them we’re all a team at the end of the day, not one individual is going to win that meet for us,” head coach Cody McCredie said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Senior Julia Polaski pushes ahead with other Warrior runners in the lead pack of the girls long distance run against Dover High School on May 1. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Sophomore Nicholas Torregrossa readies in the block at the start of the 200 meter event. Torregrossa has been a strong member of the track team and has even set records for Susquehannock High School. “Sophomore Nick Torregross is one of our younger athletes and I’ve watched him grow, and with the times he’s hitting I can see him doing very well,” McCredie said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Senior Holly Grimes leaps into the sand pit during the girl’s long jump event on May 1. Grimes along with many other seniors complete their last meet of the regular season and leave their mark on the team for the future. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Students run the girl’s 100 meter hurdle event at the track meet on May 1 against Dover. Students and parents line the track to support the athletes. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Senior Bailey Ables throws in the Girl’s Javelin event against Dover on May 1. Even though the event takes place separate from the other events, the support and teamwork still carries over. Ables competes alongside teammates Paige Wilhelm and Kaitylen Ketterman. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle

Track and Field coaches, including head coach Cody McCredie, organize and prepare the team for their meet, expecting to bounce back from their recent loss. McCredie has coached junior varsity track and field in his past experience, however, this was his first year as the head varsity coach. “With Cody being the new head coach I thought that we were a lot more collected and he knew how to connect to the athletes a lot better, it really helped people run faster and do better,” Torregrossa said. Photograph by Elizabeth Engle