The+senior+displays+were+the+center+of+attention+at+the+show+and+formed+two+circles+in+the+middle+of+the+gymnasium.+Art+by+Alyssa+Stranathan.+

Ally Waltemyer

The senior displays were the center of attention at the show and formed two circles in the middle of the gymnasium. Art by Alyssa Stranathan.

Students Prepare for the Annual Art Show

April 26, 2023

The annual SHS art show is being held today, Wednesday, April 26.

Running from 5-8 p.m., there will be many types of artwork, including clay work, painting, drawing, online and even more types showcased from the Southern York County school district.

A variety of different products were featured in the event from photos to furniture all created by students in a past art show. Senior art students were given the opportunity to showcase their talents through the works they created throughout their high school career. Art by Jessica Fox. Photograph by Ally Waltemyer

The show, like every year, will feature various pieces, but the set-up is much different than previous shows due it being relocated to the cafeteria.

Art teacher Wesley Myers and graphic design teacher Wade Bowers have organized the showcase.

“A lot has changed with the art show for this year,” Myers said. “We have a lot less time to set up this year and a completely different setting.”

The show had to be moved because of the construction on the high school, but the showcase of student work will be just as extensive.

“I’m looking forward to the art show this year because of all the different types of art all around…,” Myers said.

“Back when I was teaching in the fine arts, we didn’t really have any type of a show so it was one of biggest goals when I came here was to put on some type of art show,” said Bowers. “At first it was just middle school and high school and then eventually branched out to K through 12. It really is to showcase all the talents of the students. It’s really awesome to see now students doing work in the elementary school and then the progression to high school.” Sculpture by Alaina Stromgren. Photograph by Ally Waltemyer