SMS Counseling Office News August 2022

August 3, 2022

Counseling  Office

Welcome 7th Grade

I’m very excited to welcome you and your student to Southern Middle School. I hope that you’re having a fantastic summer and soon ready for your child to start a new and exciting chapter in their lives as they begin 7th grade. I had the pleasure of joining our students last year as we traveled to a few of our elementary schools to provide a presentation on SMS, but in just a few weeks, it will be a real introduction to one other.  

We recently made some changes to our counseling structure and for the first time, I will have the opportunity to work with the entire 7th grade and will loop with the students next year for 8th grade. This will allow for a close working partnership during the course of the next two which are typically filled with a lot of growth and change.  My office space is right in the 7th grade and I’m looking forward to being close by if needed. 

These two years are fast ones, but a time where lots will happen and it’s always good to know who’s in your corner to work through things, and also to celebrate the successes. I’m just a visit, email, or check-in away, so please encourage your kiddo to reach out. 

See you soon,

Mr. Katz

Twitter – @SMSGuidance & @WarriorsSMS

Instagram – @SMSaevidum 

8th Grade

Hi Everyone,  

Welcome back to another amazing school year! I hope that you are having a fabulous summer relaxing and making memories. 

Our counseling structure has changed and for the first time ever, I will be the counselor for the entire 8th grade. I am very excited to work closely with Teams Engaged and Integrity to support your students’ goals and continue to assist them with working on future-ready skills. My office will be near the 8th grade and I look forward to being a resource to your child this year. 

One of my more recent passions is learning more about the mind-body connection and how these aspects affect our students. In essence, the mind and body are one and there is no separation. If we reflected on that concept, I think we could all relate. I look forward to sharing some of these ideas with our students and teaching them some strategies that calm and regulate the “self.” 

There will be a lot of excitement this year as we prepare our 8th graders for high school and beyond. Please reach out anytime if there is a concern regarding your student. I look forward to partnering with you to ensure a fabulous year for your kiddo. 

Be well,

Mrs. Hall