Hoffman working with students on a project. Photographed by Maggie Grim

Woodshop Teacher Hoffman Makes Way to Retirement

April 8, 2022

Wood shop teacher Garth Hoffman will retire after 34 years at Susquehannock at the end of this school year.  

Hoffman has worked at two different school districts, starting his teaching career at Cedar Cliff high school where he taught for 2 years and coming to Susky for his last 32 years.

Hoffman helping his students make a project in class. Photograph by Maggie Grim

He is known for his hard work and dedication while also having a fun relationship with his students.

Hoffman has even taught and affected some of the school leaders’ creative minds as well.
Wade Bowers, an art teacher here at Susky, had the chance to have Hoffman as his very own wood shop teacher when he was a freshman. They both now have worked in the basement together for years.

“He was a very hard-working teacher,” Bowers said. “Whenever I was in his class, anything I ever made was down to the tee and created very well because that’s what he expected.”

Hoffman is always working closely with his students to create projects while creating a bond. 

When working, he teaches them important lessons and opens their minds. 

Senior shop student Zach Pecunes admits that Hoffman has left him with an unexpected passion for the class.

“He has really had an impact on helping me find a new passion for woodworking,” Pecunes said. “[Hoffman] taught us all to pay attention to detail and [to] do a good job on our work by taking pride.”

Hoffman puts away products in his wood shop.
Photograph by Maggie Grim

Hoffman’s impact has been seen by various students and teachers here at the school, and Hoffman has many wonderful memories with those around him. 

“In general, my favorite memory is creating pieces of furniture with the students, working with other teachers down here, and at the end of the year, the art fair sees all the work the kids put in,” Hoffman said. 

His commitment to seeing his students succeed is something that has been noticed by that have had the privilege to work with him.

“I love seeing students start at the beginning of the year… create something from scratch,” Hoffman said. 

Although he will be retiring from teaching, Hoffman will continue to make projects and do what he loves. 

Hoffman has a business of his own, a custom carpentry shop called Garth Wood LLC where he will enjoy his retirement while working for his own business.