Alumna Emily Landis Comes Back to SYCSD

April 1, 2022

Landis sits down with a class at the Middle School and gets to know the students for the first time. Photograph by Alex Stine

Alumna Emily Landis has worked all year in the Special Education department, helping students one day at a time.
This is Landis’s first year of teaching since she graduated from Millersville University.
“My majors were Early Education and Special Education before I extended into High School Special Education,” Landis said.
Landis and fellow Special Education teacher Thomas Laure both agree that working together has proven successful throughout the school year.
Laure, who has been teaching the life skills program for 27 years, felt that having the extra hands in the classroom has proven to be beneficial to him and his students.
“I think she is very talented as a teacher,” Laure said. “She very quickly built relationships with her students, and she’s a great partner as far as bouncing ideas off [of] to better our students.”
Landis describes her teaching style as “laid back but very organized,” and she also admits that one of her teaching goals is “trying to stay upbeat.”

Some of Landis’s students include senior Claire Gutridge and sophomore Aries Blymire who both note that Landis is very good at teaching, specifically math.
“She is really good at math,” Gutridge said. “She keeps me curious.”
Landis is also involved in coaching the Unified Track team.
“Unified track is partnered with Special Olympics, so we have a track team here that includes students with and without disabilities, and we are unified as one team, so we partake in events just like every other varsity sport,” Landis said.

Landis works on connecting with her students at the middle school. Photograph taken by Alex Stine

Landis is already involved in making the school a great place for the students and hopes to continue contributing to the school community throughout her career.