Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Rams Prepare for Super Bowl LVI

Look at the summary of each playoff game with some information about Super Bowl LVI.

February 9, 2022

With the AFC and NFC championships having ended, here are the playoff highlights and also some predictions from your teachers and fellow students.

This shows the first week of playoff AKA wild card weekend. Image by @nfl via Instagram

AFC Wild Card Games

• The Las Vegas Raiders played the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday, January 15 at 4:30 p.m.

The Raiders lost 26-19, only a seven-point difference that is one touchdown with an extra point made.

The clear MVP for this game is Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase with 9 receptions and 116 yards with an average yard per catch (YPC) of 12.9

• The New England Patriots played the Buffalo Bills on the same day at 8:15 p.m.

Surprisingly to a lot of fans, the Patriots were dominated with a final score of 47-17.

The MVP obviously goes to Bills quarterback Josh Allen who threw for 308 yards with a completion rate of 21 out of 25 and 5 touchdowns.

• The Pittsburgh Steelers then took on the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, Jan. 16 at 8:15 p.m.

The Chiefs doubled the Steelers’ score with a score of 42-21, taking the win.

The MVP for this game goes to another quarterback, Patrick Mahomes II, who threw for 404 yards with a completion rate of 30 out of 39 with 5 touchdowns but threw one interception.

• The number one seed that got a bye week and is going right to the AFC divisional round was the Tennessee Titans with a 12-5 record.

NFC Wild Card Games

• The Philadelphia Eagles challenged the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, January 16 at 1 p.m.

The favored Buccaneers took the win, 31-15.

Buccaneers Safety Mike Edwards takes the MVP with 9 tackles and one interception.

• The San Francisco 49ers defeated the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, January 16 at 4:30 p.m.

The 49ers pulled off an upset, 23-17.

49ers running back Eli Mitchell had 27 carries and 96 yards with average yards per carry of 3.6, making him the game’s MVP.

• The Arizona Cardinals lost to the Los Angeles Rams on Monday, Jan. 17 at 8:15 p.m.

The Rams defense really stepped up this game to win 34-11, but the MVP goes to wide receiver Odell Beckem Jr. with 4 receptions, 54 yards, and one passing attempt for 40 yards.

• The team that got the number one seed was the Green Bay Packers who had a bye week and are going straight to the NFC divisional round.

This diagram shows the standings after Wild card weekend before the divisional round in the playoffs. Image by @nfl via Instagram

AFC Divisional Round games

• The Bengals played the Titans and won with a game-winning field goal to make the score 19-16 on Saturday 01/22 at 4:30 p.m.=

Linebacker Logan Willison won MVP with 6 tackles and 2 assisted tackles.

• On 01/23 at 6:30 p.m. the Bills played the Chiefs and lost 42-36 in overtime after scoring a lot of points in the fourth quarter 15 points scored by the Bills and 13 points scored by the Chiefs.

Tyreek Hill 11 receptions and 150 yards 13.6 average yards per catch with one touchdown.

NFC Divisional round games

• The 49ers beat the favored Packers 13-10 with a game-winning field goal. The game started 01/22 at 8:15 p.m.

Defensive end Jordan Willis won the MVP for this game when he blocked a punt from deep in Packers territory and Talanoa Hufanga returned it for a touchdown that kept the 49ers in the game.

Rams surprisingly beat the Buccaneers 30-27, since the Buccaneers were favored to win on 01/23 at 3 p.m.

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp won MVP for having 9 receptions and 183 yards with an average of 20.3 yards per catch.

After the Divisional Round , comes the championship. Image by @nfl via Instagram

AFC Championship Game

The Bengals vs. the red hot Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium 27-24 on January 30 at 3 p.m. in overtime even though the Chiefs won the coin toss.

Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins is the MVP for this game with 102 receiving yards for 6 catches with an average of 17.2 yards per catch.

NFC Championship Game

On January 30 at 6:30 p.m. the Rams beat the 49ers 20-17 after 49ers Quarterback Jimmy Goropolo, trying to avoid a sack, threw an interception to Trevon Howard.

The MVP for this game is Rams Quarterback Mathew Staford completing 31/45 passes for 337 yards 2 touchdowns and 1 intersection.

Super Bowl Matchup

Super Bowl LVI (56) will take place on February 13 at 6:30 p.m. 

The team for the AFC are the Bengals and representing the NFC are the Rams at SoFi stadium which is the Rams home field just like last year when the Buccaneers played and won at their home field Raymond James stadium in the Super Bowl.

But when the Buccaneers played they were considered the home team for the super bowl but this year the Rams are not considered the home tea the Bengals are so the Rams are playing as away at their own stadium. The “home team” is very simple it just switches every year AFC to NFC.

This is a strange coincidence because the field for the Super Bowls is picked before the season starts.

Here are some of your teachers’ predictions:

Mr. Wiles–>  Rams 28, Bengals 17

Mr. Poteet–> Rams 32, Bengals 21

Mr. Deluca –> Bengals, 31 Rams 28 in overtime

Sophomore Stephan Smith–> Rams 21, Bengals 17

Sophomore Michael Reeb–> Bengals 20, Rams 14

Sophomore Isaiah Crouse–> Bengal 27, Rams 22