SMS SCHOOL COUNSELOR NEWS

September 3, 2021

School Counselor News

Southern Middle School Guidance Staff

Mrs. Lisa Zapach, Guidance Clerk A.M. x3272

Mrs. Jackie Winterson, Guidance Clerk P.M x3571

Mr. Jason Katz, School Counselor Last Names A-K x3523

Mrs. Lisa Hall, School Counselor Last Names L-Z x3522

We’re off to a great start to the 2021-2022 school year. It’s terrific having students back full-time 5 days a week filling our classrooms and hallways. We’ve been able to meet some students and talk with some parents whether it’s been about scheduling or just basic things about middle school life. Either way, we look forward to getting to know your student in the upcoming weeks and assisting them in helping to make their middle school years memorable and successful. 

Please reach out and contact us with any concerns, so we are able to work with you in a proactive manner to ensure your student gets what they need to make school a happy, safe place to learn.  You may contact us at [email protected], [email protected], or at 717.235.4811 extension 3272.

Please take a few minutes to let us know what things you feel would be beneficial for us to know about your student by completing our Southern Middle School Counseling Parent Survey by clicking on the hyperlink.   

York County School of Technology 

Parents of 8th graders: You will receive communication in next month’s newsletter on the application process for the Fall of 2021.  If you have any questions about York County School of Technology, please contact Mrs. Hall or Mr. Katz in the guidance office.   

The Student Assistance Program 

& School-Based Outpatient Satellite Program 

The Student Assistance Program continues to function actively in the middle school.  The SAP team is a group of trained staff members who work to identify, intervene and refer students who are having difficulties due to a variety of possibilities.  The student assistance program is available to all students at SMS (the exception being someone who is already receiving drug/alcohol or mental health counseling).  Please contact the guidance office to make a referral or obtain additional information. 

The SYCSD/PCBH School-Based Counseling Program utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach to bridge the gap for young people who need mental health care, and young people who receive mental health care by providing coordinated mental health services at a licensed satellite office of PCBH in the familiar environment of the school setting. Please contact Mrs. Hall or Mr. Katz for more information if needed.

Crisis Intervention Services

If you are concerned for the immediate health and safety of a child call 911 and direct them to the location of the child.  If you share the crisis information with a student and have any concerns, please contact your school counselor as soon as possible so they are able to follow up.

• TrueNorth Wellness Crisis Intervention – 1-866-325-0339 or 717-632-4900 (for students experiencing a mental health crisis or suicidal ideation) Open for phone calls – no walk-ins or home visits.
  • York Hospital, Hanover Hospital and UPMC Memorial Emergency Departments have 24/7 Crisis Intervention Services available, but due to the influx the departments may have with COVID 19 cases, you may want to avoid these locations unless you have no other options.

Counseling Connections

Each month we will share with you a resource or article about teens or middle school life that can hopefully assist you and/or your student. 

Anxiety in Teens: 8 Ways You Can Help Your Child