School Will Host Unified Track and Field

January 7, 2021

The school board approved a unified track and field Special Olympics program on Nov. 19, 2020.

Many students are thrilled about this new opportunity.

Track coach, health and physical education teacher Joseph Sorice has worked alongside many other teachers to get this program started.

“¨[ Laure and Lewis] have been working behind the scenes since last track season and really got the ball rolling this school year,” said Sorice.

Runners from both Eastern York and Susquehannock start for the 800 meter run in 2019. Photograph Courtesy of @warriortrackandfield_ via Instagram

Other schools in the area have already started up unified track and field programs.

Special education teacher Tom Laure is very excited for his students to get involved.

“In our division, [we will be competing with] Gettysburg and York Suburban,” said Laure. “Outside of the division, Dallastown and Red Lion [have special Olympic programs as well].”

This program is a great way for students to make more connections with their classmates.

“It’s a really neat thing because all the athletes stop their warm up [and] stop their preparation to crowd the track for whatever event [is]s going on, and they really support these kids and get behind it,” said Sorice.

The girls track members sprint away from the starting line.
SHS track and field competed against rival Kennard-Dale at home on April 30, 2019. Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

Adviser and social studies teacher, Heather Schoemaker, has also been a big help to get this program running.

“The idea of including everyone in the school together and helping support the new unified sports track team made me want to help facilitate our students to bring them together for a purpose and to feel like a part of something,” said Schoemaker.

Students can become involved in this program by emailing one of the four advisors: Logan Addison, Rylie Miller, Kristine Bosley or Schoemaker.

Due to COVID-19, there will be many restrictions and obstacles the team will have to overcome.

“Safety will always always always be our top priority, so we are going to take the precautions recommended by the PA department of health,” said Sorice.

Teacher Tom Laure looks forward to the benefits of the program.

“My hope is that they will be accepted in a way that they might not have felt before,” said Laure. “… and maybe find new friends outside of our classroom that are genuinely interested in them.”