The girl's track members sprint away from the starting line. SHS Track and Field competed against rival Kennard-Dale at home on April 30, 2019.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

Track & Field Finishes Off the Season Strong

May 10, 2019

• The girl's track members sprint away from the starting line. SHS Track and Field competed against rival Kennard-Dale at home on April 30, 2019.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Junior Brock Hofler makes an attempt in shot put in the meet against Kennard-Dale. “The discus and shot put are heavier this year, so it’s hard for me to improve my distance because they’re heavier. There was a new one, javelin, which I have never thrown before.” said Elsen on the difference between middle and high school track.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• The Lady Warrior distance sprinters make the turn. “I feel like we just had really strong people stepping up in their events and really working hard in our off season, starting workouts all the way back in October really helped us out.” Senior Julia Kelbaugh on the strength of this year's team.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Junior Jenna Schechter throws discus in the meet against Kennard-Dale.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Junior Cody McCredie leads the pack in this relay event. “It was a lot of fun, I had a lot more friends on the team this year so it really flew by," said senior Kenny Rhyne on the overall flow of the season.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Freshman Sam Elsen throws the shot put in the Kennard-Dale meet. “I thought it went really well, I thought everyone was really nice. They helped me improve.” said Elsen on how his first year of high school track went.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Sophomore Julia Bittner takes the turn in the 4x100 relay. In the end, both the boys and girls teams for the Warriors beat the Rams. The boys score was 111-39 and the girls score finished at 128.5-21.5

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Sophomore Courtney Burgess ties for first place in the high jump with a mark of 4' 6" at the Kennard-Dale meet. “It was really amazing, but at the same time I feel like it’s another chapter of my life ending and I’m ready to move on, but I’m still happy I got to hang out with my friends and do something I love,” said senior Julia Kelbaugh on leaving SHS Track.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Freshman Shelby Derkosh competes in the long jump. Derkosh took first place in the long jump, triple jump and 400m race in the Kennard-Dale meet.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Senior Kenny Rhyne broke the school record at the last home meet of the season, jumping 6'7" in the high jump.

Photograph via @CalcNerd on Twitter

• Junior Noel Laven participates in the high jump. Laven tied with teammate Courtney Burgess for first place with a jump of 4' 6".

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Freshman Andrea Hammond throws the discus in the Kennard-Dale meet. Hammond finished in second place with a distance of 64' 10". She placed first in the shot put with a distance of 29' 10". For the season, the boys track and field team finished with a regular season record of 5-2, while the girls went 6-1.

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Junior Duncan McQuay competes in the pole vault in the meet against Kennard-Dale. Senior Michael Boampong won the pole vault competition in the meet with Kennard-Dale with a jump of 12'3".

Photograph by Alexandra Marusko

• Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in