Musicians Audition for PMEA District Chorus

November 15, 2017

Eight students traveled to Central York High School to audition against other high school vocalists from many different areas.

This year, more than 720 students auditioned for a spot in the 200 seat ensemble.

Those who wished to audition have been preparing since May, according to Choir Director Jay Althouse.

“They get the music in May of the year before, and they work on their own through practice tracks, and I hold a couple of rehearsals over the summer. We come back in the fall and work on a weekly basis until they’re ready to go,” said Althouse.

The students that auditioned for a spot were senior Justin Feild for piano, sophomore Anna Feild for Soprano 2, junior Matthew Sharkey for Tenor 2, senior Justin Rosenberger for Tenor 2, sophomore Michael Daiuto for Tenor 1, junior Dan Poole for Bass 1, senior Michaela Bryan for Alto 2,  and senior Brendan Paules for Bass 1.

After 9 hours of auditions, junior Dan Poole, senior Michaela Bryan, and senior Brendan Paules were selected to participate in the festival, which will be held at Susquehannock in January

“Auditions were exciting! It was nice to meet new people while also being able to relax and memorize lines from the play or do school Work while waiting for everyone else to finish auditioning. There were a ton of people all trying out for the 8 parts in a choir, if I had to guess, there were give or take 500 people auditioning and they only take 200,” said Poole.

Senior Brendan Paules found a way to stay calm while waiting for auditions at PMEA.

“I was nervous, as most auditioners are, but I was much more confident than past years knowing that I had been there before. I spend a lot of the time helping the new auditioners from our school which helped calm my own nerves,” said Paules.

In fact, this is his sixth time attending the festival

“I am very proud to represent Susquehannock at my 6th PMEA festival, and I am extremely excited that the festival will be hosted by our school this year,” said Paules.

Dan Poole is proud of his accomplishments.

“It means that if you’re passionate for something, go for it because you may get what you wanted! Hard work pays off big time in the end and improving more and more every step of the way shows after you’ve made it,” said Poole.