Susquehannock Student Places Third in Poetry and Storytelling Competition

January 25, 2017

WACH 2017 International Poetry and Storytelling Competition winners from left, Susquehannock High School student Emily Hellwig, Rachel Wonder, Yi Lin, and Dr. Joyce Davis, president and CEO of WACH.

Susquehannock High School senior Emily Hellwig was recently awarded 3rd place in the World Affairs Council of Harrisburg (WACH) 2017 International Poetry and Storytelling Competition.

Hellwig wrote and submitted a poem for the competition based on the theme of peacekeeping at home and abroad.  The contest was open to all high school students, and the finalists were selected to read their work at a dinner event at Temple University in Harrisburg, Pa. on January 16, 2017.  Hellwig earned 3rd place in the competition, which included a cash prize.

Hellwig said she learned a lot from the experience.  “I improved at writing and reading poetry.  The best part was hearing the local professional poets read their poems,” she said.

The finalists’ entries will be published in WACH’s Journal of International Thought.