Swim season begins

The first swim meet for the boys and girls varsity swim team was December 8. Both teams are in the process of finding out strengths and weaknesses.

Senior captain Jordan McGee, aiming for her goal of a 27 second 50 yard freestyle, has great confidence in the upcoming season.

“Saturday was a really big invitational,” said McGee. “With 10+ teams competing in multiple different events.”

Brian Wingert, coach of both the boys and girls swim teams, also has a good feeling for the upcoming season.

“Out of the 40 kids that went, 22 of the 29 sophomores and up, combined, had their best scores,” said Wingert.

To have confidence in the team is always big.

“Overall, I think the girls team did really good… I can’t really say any improvements we need to work on this early in the season. We have a good base team, and throughout the season we’ll find out more of our weaknesses so we can turn them into strengths,” said McGee.

Finding out the strengths and weaknesses of each individual will only help, especially for the success of the team. “We’ll be successful if we accomplish this, even if we don’t win everything,” said McGee.

The boys team is just as happy with their results as the girls.

Senior Sean Kaliszak, captain of the boys swim team, has high expectations for himself, as well as the team. “It was very successful. We had good times… guys came in 10th out of the 15 teams that were competing,” said Kaliszak. “Some of our teammates even beat their own record… I can’t really say what we can improve on in the future as of now, we just need to keep the hard work up.”

The next game is Thursday, December 20, at 6 o’clock, being held at and competing against South Western.