The Student of the Months display, currently featuring Brigit Duffy and Maggie Kaliszak, is up in the auxiliary gym lobby. (Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber)
The Student of the Months display, currently featuring Brigit Duffy and Maggie Kaliszak, is up in the auxiliary gym lobby.

Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber

Students of the Month: Above and Beyond

January 28, 2016

Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber

For some students, high achievement in both academic and community life are the norm, and the goal is to leave the school and Southern York County as a whole better than when they arrived.

Their reward for this hard work and success? The prestigious title of Student of the Month.

November and December’s Student of the Month awards were given to seniors Maggie Kaliszak and Brigit Duffy and Emma Gruner and Emily Landis, respectively, all of whom express excitement about being chosen.

“It sort of just makes me feel like all my hard work paid off,” said Duffy. “…I’m being recognized for all the hard work I’ve put in, so…it feels good…it’s gratifying…”

Gruner, who states that she was surprised and honored when she was told that she was Student of the Month, took only a few steps to be placed in the running.

“…I was first presented with a letter saying that I had been nominated by the staff, and then I had to fill out a list of activities, which would then be compared to the other people who had been nominated,” Gruner said. “…I just filled stuff out about orchestra and all the various music activities…that I had done with church…I guess I was deemed appropriate for this title…just doing well in school would count as well.”

As for the qualities that make a potential Student of the Month, according to Landis, there are a few vital boxes to check.

“[Have] good grades. Be respected, like, in the classroom,” said Landis. “[Be a] leader…involve everybody in the class. Don’t leave people out.”

Senior Emily Landis is one of December's Students of the Month.
Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber
Senior Emily Landis is one of December’s Students of the Month.

Kaliszak agrees; although, she insists that the award’s requirements aren’t confined to the classroom.

“They should be a leader, they should be respectful, they should be a role model for other students,” Kaliszak said. “…you’re thought of highly by teachers [and] students…and it’s not just your grades, it’s how involved you are. It just shows that you also care for the school.”

Caring for the school – it’s a motif that continuously crops up in discussions about the honor, one that Gruner notes as well.

“[A Student of the Month should have] a desire to be engaged in the community, like in the school,” said Gruner, “whether that’s…really trying your best in [the] academic realm, and making sure you’re being proactive there…getting involved in the school and in the community, like, for extracurriculars, and just showing that you care about being part of this atmosphere and about your school and that you want to…make sure you do well for yourself.”

However, these four students achieved the title – many of them are in AP or honors classes, as well as being involved in sports or music – they all support the same theme: being a Student of the Month requires courage, commitment, and capability, and allows us to celebrate those who truly give themselves to the school.

Plus, who knows – if those qualities sound like you, maybe one day it could be your name that’s presented in the gym lobby for all to see.

Senior Emma Gruner, of of December's Students of the Month, poses for a photo.
Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber
Senior Emma Gruner, of December’s Students of the Month, poses for a photo.