Susquehannock High School Golf Team Raises Funds for New Equipment

January 27, 2016

The SHS Golf team received new Warrior golf bags through fundraising efforts this fall.

Susquehannock High School golfers recently received new golf bags as part of a team fundraiser. The golf team raised about $1,400 through a crowdfunding platform, called Donors Choose, along with help from Dick’s Sporting Goods. In just one month, the student athletes raised the funds and Dick’s matched up to $1,200 of those funds.

According to team parent, Kenny Abrams, the goal of the fundraising program was to generate funds to purchase items for the golf program and its players. Abrams, along with teacher Robert Cousineau, spearheaded the fund raising efforts this fall. Players originally hoped to raise $1,000 during the month, but surpassed that amount, by raising $1,400, he said. Team members promoted the online fundraiser through social media and by soliciting various businesses. The fundraiser resulted in 11 golf bags, equipped with the school name and Warrior logo, which were recently presented to the team members.

“We wanted to instill pride among the players,” Abrams said. “Next year, each player should have his or her own bag.”

This year’s golf team placed fourth in its division with junior Patrick McDonald, senior Michael Passio, senior Dan Stiffler, and sophomore Kendel Abrams qualifying for the York-Adams tournament. Kendel Abrams advanced to the District tournament and earned a third place medal. In addition, she finished the season with the best average among girls in York Adams Division II and was also named to the York Adams All-Star Team.