Alumni Spotlight – Annie Haines ‘73

January 1, 2014

While a student at SHS, Annie was active in Field Hockey (where she was goalie) and Girls Volleyball. Annie’s playing days were in an era where the foundation for SHS domination of the County in those sports was being built. In fact, the volleyball team won the York County Championship in Annie’s senior year. Her other activities included participation on the school yearbook staff and student council. She excelled academically and was a member of the National Honor Society and designated as Outstanding Senior Girl Athlete, along with co-winner Ruby Haugh.

Annie recalls that her class was the last to attend 7th grade at SHS before the middle school was built and the thrill of attending a brand new school in 8th grade. She also remembers exposure to a strict discipline code at SMS, to which she reacted, in combination with the turbulence of the Sixties, by forming a liberal view and sensitivity to concepts of social justice. After leaving SHS, Annie attended the University of Tennessee where she continued to play volleyball and majored in Anthropology with an emphasis in Folklore and Oral History, graduating with honors in 1977.

She then returned to the York area where she became involved with Historic York, Inc. and eventually operated an antique business in Shrewsbury with her (ex) husband Dave Keller ( SHS ’76). Annie was a founding member of The Shrewsbury Area Preservation Society, and she and Dave restored and lived in several historic homes in the area. Her favorite project was the restoration of the famous Haines Shoe House in Hallam, built in 1948 by her grandfather as a promotion for his business, Haines Shoes.

Shortly after this project was completed, Annie began working for Penn State York as an Area Representative for Continuing Education. During her 15 years at Penn State, Annie has overseen numerous program areas including youth programs, grant-funded programs for ‘at risk teens’, personal enrichment courses, community outreach efforts and S.A.T. Preparation classes. Currently, she manages a number of Professional Development certificate programs and workforce development courses that are held onsite at area companies.

Outside her professional career, Annie has raised seeing-eye puppies and has volunteered with various animal rescue organizations. She has been a volunteer with the York County Literacy Council and recently served on a Rotary medical mission to Peru. She is an avid outdoors-person with a passion for hiking and biking.

Her fondest memories of SHS are Friday night football games and the atmosphere that pervaded the campus and student body in those times. She also attaches value to her experiences as a participant in team sports, and her associated views are profound.

She says: “But, most definitely what has always stayed with me is the thrill of playing on a great athletic team. “Great” doesn’t necessarily mean winning, either. A great team is made up of dedicated, enthusiastic people led by an inspirational coach. The lessons I learned through playing sports – teamwork, cooperation, leadership, self control, even some humility – were every bit as valuable as what I learned in the classroom. I do love to learn, however, and credit some very good English teachers and an experimental English program that was being tested during our high school years for fueling my desire to read, appreciate good books, and my ability to write a decent composition. The combination of these skills has served me well.”

Annie is the proud mother of two, Andrew and Josannah. Both her children are currently living in China. Andrew began working there after graduating from Dickinson College with a major in International Business & Management, and Josannah is working a summer internship in Beijing as part of her double major in Chinese and Anthropology/Sociology at Middlebury College.

Thanks Annie, for making us Warrior Proud.