Alumni Spotlight – Elizabeth Silbaugh ‘93

May 13, 2015

Alumni Spotlight - Elizabeth Silbaugh ‘93

Growing up and living in Southern York County is very special for Elizabeth Silbaugh. “It’s really the best of both worlds,” she explains. “You have easy access to metropolitan areas, but you’re still surrounded by small-town values. And I loved growing up with family all around me.”

Her close-knit family is a pervasive theme in Liz’s life story. She worked for various Silbaugh business ventures throughout high school, college, and beyond.

A solid academic student, Liz also had time to participate in a variety of student activities, including the school’s debate club. Out of school, she had a passion for horseback riding and combined training – an equestrian activity that includes dressage, cross country jumping, and show jumping. In her senior year, she worked part-time in York County District Attorney Stan Rebert’s office.

She cites Susquehannock teachers, Mr. (Bob) Schnetzka and Mr. (Tony) Sorice for helping shape her outlook on life in profound ways. She says, “Mr. Sorice always had energy. He was passionate about everything he did and I wanted to be like that.”

Her natural interest in business was honed by Mr. Schnetzka’s mentorship. She remembers his teaching her, “You can do anything if you work hard enough.”

After graduating from SHS, she attended Susquehanna University, where she studied business. During the summers, she returned home to work in the family business, but also worked an internship for State Senator Dan Delp. It was her work with Senator Delp that piqued her interest in politics. As a result, she has been involved with one campaign or another for almost her entire adult life: local, state, and national.

In 1995, she returned home to work as a sales representative for Silbaugh Memorials and was involved in various ways with other family enterprises.

In 2004, she began a career in Asset Management and Financial Planning in Harrisburg in her own firm. There, she earned credentials and developed expertise in a range of services, including life planning, estate planning, and planning for families with special needs’ loved ones. Liz’s reputation as an expert in the field grew and for almost three years she was co-host of the radio show Money Never Sleeps on WHP- AM 580 in Harrisburg.

Liz continued her education with the Anne B. Anstine Excellence in Public Service Series professional leadership program, committed to providing women with the background, skill set, and network to assume decision-making positions at all levels of government and in the community.

In her career, she has served the community in many ways, including work on the Downtown York War Memorial; the 9/11 Memorial Project at Susquehanna University; York County Community Foundation; Chambers of Commerce in Harrisburg, York, and Hanover; and Chair of Harrisburg’s Light the Night Corporate Walk.

In 2011, she was nominated for the Central Penn Business Journal’s “Women of Influence” award.

In July 2013 she took a hiatus from her financial planning practice and began working on another family project full-time – The Markets at Hanover – sister project to the successful Slibaugh venture, Markets at Shrewsbury.

She doesn’t ride horses anymore, but has taken up power-boating and is an aspiring student pilot.

Thanks to Elizabeth Silbaugh ’93 for making us Warrior Proud!