Susquehannock Students Create Local Historical Websites

September 22, 2016

Historical page on the Glen Rock Item website.

Susquehannock High School students worked in collaboration with the Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society to create websites highlighting local Glen Rock history.

On September 15, 2016, students Jordan Futrell and Annie Hebel presented the websites they helped develop at the Southern York County School District’s school board meeting. Futrell’s website features the Glen Rock Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, a public works camp which was active from 1935 – 1942. He said while researching the project, he discovered that “Glen Rock has such a rich history I can now appreciate. I can take more pride in where I live now because of this project.” Futrell was able to conduct interviews with the son of a local CCC member and worked closely with John Hufnagel, the curator of the Glen Rock Historical Society. Hebel worked on a website which showcases the Glen Rock Item, a local newspaper, which was printed from 1870-1942. Her group researched the publication which, “kept residents informed about local events and contributed greatly to the development of Southern York County,” said Hebel. “It was really cool getting to make a piece of work that can be used and read by all members of the Glen Rock community,” she said. The students studied history hands-on, gathering research from text books, newspaper editions, and interviews of local residents, and connected them with today’s technology.

One of the history project’s goals was to give back to the community while highlighting local history. U.S. History and social studies teacher, Bill Kerr, said the venture took approximately two months to complete, and students had to conduct interviews with experts on their chosen topic. “The goal was to have the students carry out research that was similar to the work of historians. We wanted them to become historians,” said Kerr. Over the summer, the students presented the websites to the Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society.

A page from the Glen Rock CCC website.
A page from the Glen Rock CCC website.